Chapter 20: Ellie and Dohta

Dohta and Ellie found themselves back in this former's cabin aboard the Planetary Chaos. The adventure through the young man's memories had ended. However, those images were quite enough for the girl to understand the whole pain of her companion. Her eyes had already filled with tears when she came to. She cuddled with Dohta's chest and let out heavy sobs:

"I'm so sorry, Dohta! The Daluma... How could they be so cruel? It is unfair!"

"What can you do?" the young man bitterly smiled. "Don't worry. It's all in the past. I hope you have at least learned your lesson – that you should not defy the powerful people when you are still inexperienced. Or else, you'll end up in scars, and won't be able to change a thing anyway".

He felt a tiny hand clutch his black coat. He flinched and looked down at Ellie, to see her eyes flash underneath her deep frown:

"I will not back down for what I believe is right, especially now when you've shown me your past. If I am to compete against stronger people to prove my innocence or my rightfulness, I will fight, even if I die trying!"

"So you're never going to give up, huh? You remind me of my old friend..."

"Who?"

"You remember how they sent me to the Star-Rover Prison after my exile? There I met a certain idiot who taught me what bonds truly meant. He was also the one to bring me back the desire to live. After I met him, I finally decided to become stronger and forge my own path".

"An... idiot?"

"I found out great Yuuh Arruroe's legacy had gone down to an idiot... yes".

"You mean he was Yuuh Arruroe's descendant?"

"His very own grandson," Dohta grinned with triumph, proud to have known his favourite writer Yuuh Arruroe's close family member in person. "His name was Arubah".

"Wow! So, what happened? Where is he now?"

"I've no slightest idea. He was always a young man engulfed in mysteries... bloody mysteries, at that. He never even showed his face – he had covered himself with a scarlet hood and a weird mask. Nobody knew the true reason behind his imprisonment. Some said he had massacred a thousand men and bathed in their blood during a certain battle. Others claimed he had not killed thousands but instead a very important entity of the government. Some people even argued that he had done both... Anyway, after he organized a massive prison break, we blew up the Star-Rover so that even ashes didn't remain, and ran for our freedom. Since then, our ways parted forever. However, his life lessons remained always in my heart, as well as our brotherly friendship... He was the only friend I'd ever had, up until now".

"Up until now? Why? He's not your friend anymore?"

"No, I shall always consider him a friend, even though we have never met after the prison break... but I have one more friend now".

Beholding his kind beam upon her, Ellie understood what he meant, and her eyes brightened with joy. She tightly hugged him. Dohta chuckled and embraced her in his arms.

"Say, Dohta..."

"Hmm?"

"So, you didn't always have black hair?"

"No. I inherited the colour-changing hair from my father, apparently. My hair was initially blue, then, in adult age, grew purple, then gradually darkened, and when I obtained the black energy, turned black forever".

"Wow, so it was like a rainbow. I wonder if our kid will have that..."

"Huh? What did you say?"

"Uhm, nothing!" Ellie's whole face turned red realising she was found out.

Did I just hear her right? But I certainly did...

"How old were you again?"

"I'm turning twelve in three months, by Earthly calculations".

"Wow, that's wonderful – you'll have a birthday soon!"

"What about you, Dohta?"

"I'm twenty-five crystal-glows old".

"You mean like, twenty-five-year-old? You're around my big sister's age_"

"No, if you convert it to Earthly years, it's actually two thousand and five hundred".

"What? You're the whole two-millennia-old?! How come your hair's still black?"

"Hey! We, Daluma, live for fifty thousand years, so I'm still fairly young for my hair to lose colour!"

"Oh, that's so long... I hoped we'd always be together. At least, I'll die before you..."

"Where have those vile thoughts come from, in all of a sudden? You've still a whole century ahead of you, and even then, I'll see to it that you live longer! There's a bunch of ways to prolong humans' lives. It's especially easy for our Daluman medicine".

"Really? That's relieving to hear..."

"What's gotten into you?"

"I don't know. I suddenly feel weak and depressed... What's wrong with me, Dohta? Am I ill?"

"No, I... I'm not sure but, I think you're growing".

"Really? So, will I become stronger? Like you?"

"Yes, you'll become very strong, Ellie. I've told you already – women are always strong. They possess the kind of strength that we, men, lack, and will never truly understand".

"I think you're already perfect as you are. Men too, have such strength that is beyond our comprehension," Ellie embraced him tighter, "You are always big and cuddly".

Dohta blushed and wanted to reply, but the child had already dozed off, her head placed on his chest. A tender smile covered his face as he softly rubbed her head.

I am so happy I've met you, kind little bean... I promise, as long as I'm here, no one shall dare oppress you, ever again.