chapter 12

"You didn't have to carry me all the way up here," I say once he puts me down the bed of the hospital wing.

Despite my protests and suggestions to just use wingardium leviosa on me to get me to the room, June Jordan only continued to carry me until we arrive after leaving the scene. I can feel my cheeks warm just thinking about it that I have to cover my face with my hands as I turn red in embarrassment.

A playful chuckle resounds from him and it's hard to think that it came from someone who could easily pass as a monster when angry.

"One thank you is more than enough, Park."

My breath catches in my throat when I look at him only to find him staring straight at me.

"Th-thank you," I finally say after a few moments pass. It isn't because I forgot to say it, I was just stubborn because I still think that I didn't need his help. But I figured it's the least I can do when he has been nothing but good to me all this time our paths have crossed.

Madame Pomfrey attends to us a second later, hissing once she sees my state though she is relieved she didn't get to see me in the hospital wing the first day of school, much to the surprise of the boy beside me.

"You've been here that early before?" He asks with wide eyes.

"Yeah, loads," I reply with a dry chuckle. "It's a miracle I managed to survive a week without paying a visit here. Madame Pomfrey must miss me very much."

"I do not!" She exclaims from where she is preparing the potions I'm about to drink. "I certainly do not wish for anyone to be injured just to see me here Miss Park."

Laughing, I blow her a kiss to which she only replies with a grimace. "Aww, I missed you too Madame. No need to be shy."

I hear June Jordan chuckle beside me before he sets his eyes on me again, serious. "What will you do without us?"

I scoff but also see the playful glint in his eyes when he says that, making me smirk. "I'll fare better, mind you."

"You know you don't mean that."

"Yes I do," Don't I? Having someone help me get to the wing and not risk hurting my injury more surely felt good. There's less hassle and I don't have to overwork my body. But I don't want to admit that to him, or to myself for that matter. It only means one thing.

I'm getting attached. Again.

And I don't want that.

"Why do you have to push people away from you?" He asks, taking me by surprise. His brown eyes capture mine and I lose myself in them for a moment.

Why do I have to push people away from me?

I let silence engulf us for awhile as Madame Pomfrey gives me the potions, eyes flickering between me and my company every now and then. I consume everything she gave me, ignoring the bitter aftertaste of the medicine and the pain that comes with it, all the while aware of June Jordan's eyes on me.

"It's easier that way. To push people away, I mean," I answer his question once the older woman already retreated to her office. "So I don't have to see them go when the time comes."

We gaze into each other's eyes and I see his soften after I say those words I always say whenever someone asks me the same question. Usually, the people who ask that to me don't come back after my answer, maybe thinking that it's already useless even if they try.

I wonder if he will too.

I see him open his mouth to say something but he never gets the chance to when the door bursts open, revealing three people who are sporting terrified looks on their faces.

"Oh my gypsies Roseanne!" Lalisa runs towards us, taking my hand in hers once she reaches me. "How are you?"

"We were on our way to Potions after you left earlier than us and found Theo alone. Said you guys went to the hospital wing to tend Roseanne's injury," Holden interjects as he slowly pulls up beside June Jordan who is seated by the foot of the bed.

"That git didn't even dare to skip class when we rushed here," Sol says with a scowl. "I'm also head boy but I got no problems skipping classes. It's our last year. He really needs to learn to live a little!"

Lalisa shakes her head at him, muttering something about being a perfect example before turning her attention back to me.

"Is it true this is because of us?" She asks me, eyes sad and concerned at the same time.

I don't know what I did to deserve all their attention and I still don't get why they are doing all these things for me but for some reason, I don't think I could bring myself to be rude and break her heart by telling them it's really because of them that I am attacked this time.

So I say, "No," I give her a small smile. "It just happens. Very normal if you're Roseanne Park."

She pouts at me, not believing my words and faces June Jordan who is only observing us quietly. "June, what do we do?"

His eyes catches mine and I avoid them, still feeling the tension between us before we are so thankfully interrupted.

"We protect her," He says

And for the third time that day, I am hit by a discovery that indeed, all they want is to help.

But still, I'm not sure if I'm worth all their efforts in the long run.