chapter 1

"Roseanne, wake up."

The morning light hits the side of my face painfully as the blinds are pulled apart. I turn to the other side of my bed, ignoring the voice of my mom.

"Honey, your train leaves in an hour and you haven't even packed your things yet," She chides.

Grunting, I slowly sit up. Though I don't make a move to leave the comforts of the pillows and blankets surrounding me.

"Can I just skip school this year?" I ask her, eyes still closed.

I hear her gasp at my proposal and I can't help smirking at her reaction despite having meant it with all my heart.

My mom doesn't know that ever since I stepped foot on that school I have been calling home just because I didn't want her to worry, my life has changed altogether. She thought I'd rather stay there than spend my time with them, in the world of muggles, where everything was done the hard way.

At least for us magic people.

I held on to that before but now, the irony just hits me hard.

Funny thing is, even though I would rather live through the highly technical things muggles do than just flicking my hand and muttering a spell to get things done, I can't bring myself to tell her.

I can't bring myself to wipe the smile on her face whenever she discovers I ace all of my classes.

She's just so so proud of me I don't know if I should be happy about it or not so instead of elaborating my proposition, I send her a smile I mastered to give her all this time and pick up my wand from the bedside table.

"I'm kidding mom," I flick my hand and mutter a spell that causes my things to fly into my open luggage bag, courtesy of my mom who made it her mission to pack my things for me.

"I would never skip a day from school, you know that," I say, letting myself taste the bitterness of my words in my mouth.

She sighs in relief and my heart constricts in my chest. "It's your seventh year already. You'll just have to hold on for another year, okay?"

"Yeah, I'll probably miss it when I leave anyway," I lie smoothly.

Then she gives me a smile that makes me feel guilty for lying for the gazillionth time in my life.

After I'm done with packing and I'm ready to go, my parents drop me off King Cross station with just fifteen minutes left for the departure of my train.

I don't bother apparating since I want to be with them until the last minute I have left before going to school.

They both hug me and I hug them back, hoping that the traces of their love and comfort will embed themselves in my body, enough to shield me from the things that await me in school.

My father places a kiss on my forehead before pulling away, a proud smile on his lips.

"Enjoy school, Rosie."

I nod and turn my back from them, purposely walking towards the middle of Platforms 9 and 10 slowly.

Hoping for the sixth time that his words will finally take effect on me for once.