Chapter 25 •Mel's POV•

Chapter 25 Blowjobs & Jail-cells
•Mel's POV•

Sitting in my office Friday afternoon working my way through the mound of paperwork on my desk should be making the time fly by, except I've been stuck typing the same sentence on this brief over and over again for the past two hours! All the words and letters keep blurring and running together, because my brain refuses to focus on anything other than one thing at a time.

It's been exactly three weeks to the day since I've seen or heard from Dean.

Last Friday afternoon when Duke picked me up from work to take me back to his loft for the weekend, he kept quiet about seeing Dean the entire time. He never uttered a single word about what was said between them. But, he did tell me all about going back to the place he grew up, and seeing one of his oldest and dearest friends Tori. Someone he never thought he would see again in this life, and I couldn't have been happier for him.

We decided to stay in that night to just talk and hold each other, but for some reason I felt like Duke was acting different towards me. Almost like he was keeping something from me. Which made me feel awkward around him. Something that has never happened before actually.

I figured it was just me being paranoid, so I changed the subject telling him about my meeting with the girls, and our trip for the following weekend. I saw the disappointment flash through his eyes for just a moment with the news we wouldn't see each other, but it was gone just as fast. Replaced with a beaming smile as he pulls me onto his lap, and wraps me in his arms.

Duke and I fell asleep on the couch that night sharing no more than a few kisses while wrapped in each others arms. Which is exactly what happened for the rest of the weekend as well. The off-the-chart passion the three of us shared in this relationship when we were together has burnt out to no more than a friendly embrace for just the two of us.

So far, the only saving grace Duke and I have found for this relationship has been our phone calls, text, and Facetime. That seem to still be hot, sexy, and full of love like before. Since he dropped me off Sunday night I went to bed every night listening to Duke sing me to sleep. He's even gone so far as to surprise me twice showing up at the Cafe before Modesty and I even make it there for our lunch. Then yesterday he had a dozen long stem roses sent to me here at work.

I have to admit, Duke is doing everything he can to keep my mind off of Dean being gone, but it's starting to feel a little much to me. Especially since it feels like he's still keeping something from me. Maybe it's a sign that we're spending this weekend apart. Maybe we will find that spark that's been missing, beside Dean.

Duke told me last night on the phone he wishes he could see me tonight, since I'll be spending all day with the girls. Only something told me to talk him out of it if I could, so I did. Giving him the best excuse I could think of at the moment. Which was actually the truth, that Abbie and I were spending the time finalizing the plans for the next day.

Then those same doubts and fears followed me into my dreams that night. Making me toss and turn, and not get a single second of sleep, and have only grown worse since waking up. Rendering me utterly useless to do, or think about anything else. So, I just give up, packing everything in at three pm and going home for the day.

The apartment is still blissfully empty when I walk through the door forty-five minutes later. Throwing my bag and coat on the floor just inside, and let the door swing closed behind me. I keep all the lights off as I make my way to the couch to lie down. I must have fallen asleep as soon as I put my head down, because the next thing I know I'm getting scared awake.

"BOOO!" Abbie yells increasingly closer to my ear after jumping on the couch beside my head. Making my head bounce up from the couch.

"Fuck!" I scream as I sit up. Then turn to look over my shoulder at the laughing Abbie. "What. The. Fuck! Really?"