Return to Haven

Vulcan breathed in the thick mist, cautiously stepping on twigs that snapped underneath his boots like bones. Samael was leading the way, peering around at the tall trees that surrounded them.

"How do you know where we're going?"

"Just a feeling," Samael answered, examining everything around them. Vulcan latched on to Samael's arm, his eyes darting around as unfamiliar sound echoed in his ears.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know. Something doesn't feel right," Vulcan whispered back, trying not to be bothered by the blurry figures that formed out of the corner of his eye. When he turned to face them, they vanished.

Samael nodded to himself, securely wrapping an arm around Vulcan, "Don't worry. I won't let anything hurt you."

"I don't need your protection."

"Stop playing hard to get," the bony being hissed back, his attention suddenly resting on a worn out rusty fence just a few feet away from them. With a quick nod, he nudged his partner and pointed at his discovery.

"Look at that. We're already here. Do you see an entrance?"

Vulcan stayed put, even when Samael marched towards the outer structure of Haven. "Screw it," Vulcan shook his head, "Let's just climb over."

"If that's what you want."

Samael assisted Vulcan as he clung to the damaged metal, making his way up and over with little issue. Once the two were safely on the other side, they were surprised to see the place covered with bushes and overgrown plants. It was as if a green blanket had been thrown over everything in Haven.

"Disappointing," Samael muttered, staring down at a badly damaged sign with words he could barely make out. Vulcan, on the other hand, was more caught off guard by something apparently only he could see.

Unbeknownst to his companion, Vulcan could hear the faint sound of voices speaking in quick, hushed tones. It would've been bearable, but he wasn't prepared for the barely visible individuals scattered around the area.

They were standing still, frozen to their spot, dark eyes staring straight at him and Samael. Vulcan blinked many times, taking one step back as the transparent humans continued to look directly at them.

"This place is even worse than I thought it would be," Samael finally looked up, staring out at the open space, "Maybe if we snoop around we can discover something about your father...and your mother, of course."

"Sam?"

"Hmm?"

"How did everyone die here?" Vulcan asked, his gaze never breaking away from the entities that had manifested in front of the two. Many were torn to shreds, like they were the victims of some wild animal attack.

"I don't know. Why do you ask?"

"I...I just have a feeling something bad happened here is all. There's a lot of negative energy." For the first time in his life, Vulcan felt unusually anxious. As him and Samael began to walk forward, he tried not to stare at the spirits as they brushed directly past a few. The closer he got to some, the louder their whispering got. He could faintly make out angry words he felt were only directed at him, but that wasn't the only thing going on.

As him and Samael made their way past old, crumbling buildings, there were visions flashing in his mind. Vulcan could see people running with looks of absolute terror painted on their face. When he looked down, the floor was damp with blood and flesh. It only lasted for a moment, but it was enough to cause him to freeze where he was. Vulcan quickly removed his mask and bent down, trying to regain his composure.