Chapter 13

Haley stared at the strip in her hands. She couldn't tell if there were two lines because her hands were shaking or ...

She felt a mixture of nausea and excitement. It took several minutes before she could put the strip down, wash her hands and pull out her phone.

"What?" Hector's groggy voice said a moment later.

"I need to see you," Haley whispered, glancing at the bathroom door and hoping Dana couldn't hear.

"I'll see you at school."

"No," Haley said. "You have to come now."

"It's five a.m."

"Hector ..."

There was a pause on the other end of the line.

"Hale, what's going on?" Hector's voice was more focused, serious.

"I'll tell you when you get here," Haley said.

"Are you okay?"

"Just hurry."

They hung up and Haley got ready as quietly as possible so as not to wake Dana.

When she'd changed out of her pajamas, she eased the window open and pulled it shut behind her carefully before walking down the driveway. The morning air was cool, and she considered going back for her coat when she saw two headlights coming down the street. She jumped in the truck cab before it had come to a complete stop, easing the door closed as silently as she could.

Drive," she said.

"Where?"

"Just not here."

"What's going on?" Hector said.

"Get out of here before the Kells see you."

He opened his mouth to argue but closed it and put the truck in gear. He drove around the corner and out of the neighborhood.

They rode in silence until he pulled into a mega store parking lot and cut the engine.

"Now will you tell me what's going on?"

She handed him the strip.

He didn't take it.

"You're pregnant?" He finally managed.

Haley swallowed and nodded.

"You're ... how?"

Haley glanced at him.

"I mean, I know how, but I thought you were on the pill?"

"I am," she said. "But apparently it didn't work."

"Jesus Christ."

They sat in silence for several minutes. Haley's heart pounding as her mind spun. Images of her college dorm with a crib in it flashed through her head, then a picture of a baby with dark curls running across a picnic blanket in the quad.

"We'll find a good doctor," Hector finally said.

She nodded, her breathe coming in heavy. "Any idea where?"

"I'm not sure, but we'll figure it out."

She smiled, then reached over and kissed him. "Thank you."

He smiled back. "We'll take care of this. The Kells will never know."

Haley's world stopped.

"What?"

"Don't worry, they won't find out."

"Hector, we're keeping the baby."

Hector's head snapped back, as if she'd slapped him.