Chapter 12

"I can't believe you left your dress," Haley said, pulling the church door open.

"Me neither," Dana said. "Thanks for coming with me though."

"Someone has to deal with this mess," Haley said, teasing out a few strands of Dana's long dark hair.

The girls walked through the lobby and toward the small bridal room off the side of the sanctuary.

"Is Drew picking you up here?"

"He'll be here around seven," Dana said. "We've got two hours to get ready."

"I've got two hours to get you ready," Haley corrected.

"About that ..."

Haley raised an eyebrow.

"Consider this my last apology," Dana said.

Without elaborating, she pushed the bridal-room door open and held it for Haley.

Haley looked at her warily but went in.

Large windows filled the room with natural light that reflected off the baby blue walls and made the room feel cozy and warm. Dana's dress was draped over the back of the loveseat at the back of the room, its yellow fabric drawing Haley's eyes like a magnet.

Then she looked left, at the floor-length oval mirror, and saw a flash of red fabric hanging from a hook on the side.

"What did you do?"

Dana hugged her from behind.

"George said you're only allowed to be at home or at church," she said. "So we're going to have a little prom here at the church."

Haley laughed.

"Just the two of us?" she said. "Or am I the third wheel for you and Drew?"

"Actually, I was kind of hoping you'd be my date," a voice said from the door.

Haley broke out of Dana's arms and spun around.

Hector was leaning against the door frame in jeans and a white T-shirt, holding a dry cleaning bag over his shoulder with one hand and a pair of shiny tuxedo shoes in the other.

Haley forced her lips into a thin line.

"I'd hate for you to stand Davy up," Haley said.

Hector shrugged.

"He understands the pecking order of things," he said.

"You're assuming I'll say yes."

"Technically, you already did," Hector said.

"That was before you—"

"I know," Hector shook his head. "I know I was a jerk. And that what I said wasn't fair. And if you're really hell-bent on never letting me live it down, then I'll move on."

He took a step into the room and dropped his shoes gently, his hazel eyes soft and warm in the afternoon light.

"But at the least, I want you to have your prom night," he said softly. "Davy and I got here early and decorated. Might not be as well done as the real thing, but I hope it'll do. The music is queued up and ready to go so you can dance all night long if you want."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a red-rose wrist corsage. He held it up to eye level, then lowered it until it was easily within her reach.

"Since you already took back your answer from the last time I asked," he said. "I guess I have to do it again. Haley, will you go to prom with me?"

Haley's heart caught in her throat.