Chapter 7

Spring break at the Kells wasn't spent at the beach. Or camping in the mountains. Or any of the other places that most parents took their kids for a week of relaxation before the final drive to finals and college applications.

It was spent in a church basement with picture books of men in robes and thirty screaming children.

Haley wasn't thrilled about having to be at the church before the sun rose, but she'd assumed the innate cuteness of a four-year-old would make up for the early morning. She quickly realized that there is only so much cuteness she could take.

Dana moved through the room, arbitrating arguments and trying to calm the children enough to get them to stop screaming. The other volunteer, Mrs. Crawford, was trying to corral a pack of children who insisted on throwing wooden blocks at other children, then running in different directions when the middle-aged woman got close. For her part, Haley was trying to stop the future artists of the church from practicing their craft on the walls. The pink and green handprints that dotted the light blue drywall was a testament to her lack of success.

By lunchtime, Haley thought it would be lucky if she avoided killing one of them before afternoon pickup time. It was only by the grace of nap time that she managed to make it through the day. Though even that short reprieve was tainted by a little boy who had a nightmare and started crying. When Haley picked him up, he blew a giant snot rocket all over her shirt.

When only Mrs. Crawford's little boy was left, Haley and Dana slumped into the beanbags at the side of the room.

"I'm never having kids," Haley said without opening her eyes.

"Amen," Dana replied.

"You two did great," Mrs. Crawford said.

"I'm not going to make it four more days," Haley said. "How do you do this all the time?"

"When they're yours, it's different," Mrs. Crawford said, a small smile creeping across her lips as she pulled her son's jacket on.

Haley threw Dana a sideways glance, and she shook her head.

"I need to head home and get dinner going," Mrs. Crawford said. "Do you two mind finishing the clean up?"

"We've got it," Dana said.

Haley shot her another look, but Dana ignored her.

"Thank you so much," Mrs. Crawford said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

She scooped her son up in one arm and slipped the straps for a large duffel bag with all his accessories over the other. She gave the girls one last wave and bustled out of the room.

And then it was blessedly quiet.

"I don't know how she does it," Dana said.

"Makes two of us."

"You really don't want kids?"

"Not ones like that," Haley said.

Dana laughed.

"I'm sure the storks will put take that into consideration."

"I thought it was birds and bees?"

"Well, Haley," Dana said. "When a man and a woman love each other—"

The rest of her speech was cut off by a flying beanbag chair.

She rolled out of her chair laughing and Haley couldn't help grinning. They put the rest of the toys in the bins and managed to wipe most of the handprints off the walls before packing up their own belongings.

As they put on their coats, Dana's cell rang. She pulled it out of her purse and flipped it open.

"Hi, Mrs. Kell," she said, then paused to listen. "Yes, we're still here. No problem. Yeah, we can get dinner on our own. Sure thing. Okay, see you when you get home. Love you too. Bye."

She flipped the phone closed.

"George has a charity dinner that he forgot about, so they're taking the twins and won't be home till late," she said. "Which means we don't have to be home till late. And Drew's parents are gone, and he managed to pick the lock on the liquor cabinet. Want to join?"

"Thanks, but I don't want anything except a shower and to crawl in bed."

"Come on," Dana said. "Don't be lame."

"I thought you weren't even that interested in Drew."

"He's grown on me," Dana said. "But don't change the subject. You haven't done anything but IM with Hector for the last two months."

"You have your definition of fun and I have mine," Haley said. "Besides, one of us has to be home in case they get home early."

"Such responsibility from one so young ..."

Haley rolled her eyes.

"You're ridiculous."

"Always," Dana said. "You mind if I take the car?"

"Can't Drew pick you up?"

"If you saw his texts you wouldn't even ask."

"It's barely six," Haley said.

"He's home alone and bored," Dana said with a shrug. "Do you mind?"

Haley sighed, but dug the keys out of her jacket pocket and tossed them to Dana.

"You're the best," Dana said with a fake enthusiasm.

"Glad you finally realized that," Haley said.

"Text you when I'm headed home?"

"I'll keep the window unlocked."

The girls hugged before she headed to the parking lot.

The church was a half-hour walk from their home, and the late-March evening air was cool and crisp. She had to pull her jacket tight against the occasional gust of wind, but after a day in an underground bunker, the breeze was refreshing.

She stopped at a fast-food burger joint for dinner, savoring the warm, greasy patty as she walked through her neighborhood.

The house was dark when she arrived. She let herself in and made a beeline for the shower. The warm water was heavenly.

Refreshed and relaxed, she grabbed her laptop and plopped into her bunk.

____________________________________________________

Thanks for picking up Script Kiddies! I'll be posting a chapter (or Chapters depending on the length) every Friday, but if you don't want to wait, you can get the full novella, plus an extra short story by signing up for my newsletter at www.cbrandonclark.com/starter!