Special Short Chapter

Dimitri's POV

I've always thought that there's something different about myself. I don't get excited over something that kids of the same age as me found interesting. I do feel emotions contrary to what others think of me. It's just that I have this abnormal feeling of being empty. Sometimes I also felt like I needed to find that something or someone. Which is rather strange since I don't remember ever losing anything and I wasn't lacking.

My family has quite a long history that was connected with the creation of the kingdom. But now we don't dabble in politics but instead, focus on business. However, my great grandfather was once a General. It was expected to have at least one of our younger generations to be in the army. And it just so happened that I was picked to be the one to enter. I went to military school and got the highest score. From there on, it was smooth sailing for me. Becoming a general after 5 years of service is a great feat, though a part of it was because of my abilities, I am not naive to think that my family background doesn't have anything to do with my fast promotion. I did not shy away from that fact though.

There are times that I would suddenly get enveloped with this intense feeling of longing. I can usually suppress these emotions, so I just let it be and continue my life.One day my squad was ordered to go to the border to check and inspect its security. If we find something amiss about it then we have the right to correct it.

Life at the border is a complete opposite to the ones in the capital or near the capital. The moment we arrived here, I felt at peace for the first time. People living here are mostly old, young and handicapped. Though the border is not as advanced however it has this natural and spiritual feeling surrounding this place that just makes you feel at peace.

Like always, we were doing our jobs and then one day all hell broke loose. The western kingdom launched a sneak attack that completely caught us off guard. Many died, houses and buildings were destroyed. We were scattered and I was in the forest, on my way to the meeting place when all of a sudden, my heart feels so painful. It was like I was stabbed or my heart was torn to pieces.

'Ah...I've completely lost it. I didn't even manage to find it before it was completely gone...forever.' this thought suddenly crosses my mind.

My vision becomes blurry and I realize, I was crying for the first time. And I didn't even know why. And because of these overwhelming emotions that I didn't notice that there were enemies that surrounded me.

I got careless. I tried to focus on the events that are currently happening in front of me and push this unexplained pain at the back of my mind. However, I completely failed to suppress the pain.

'I lost her...'

'Please don't leave me...'

'Come back...'

'I beg you...'

Thoughts after thoughts kept on coming that I got distracted and I was shot multiple times. I know that I couldn't defeat them with my current depleting strength so I did my best to escape. I used my last bullets to distract them and with adrenaline, I run as fast as I can.