10. Truths & Trusts

So i made this chapter as long as possible... youre welcome ;)

After I had poured out the deepest part of me to Carter, I went home and cried some more. How stupid had I been telling him everything? Why did I even do that?

I was still beating myself up till the next morning. I used my headphones to block me out of reality and just thought ‘Ugh! It’s all Jace’s fault. I don’t care’… even if I kind of did.

Carter! Of all people. Why did I choose to tell him?

Okay I was too emotional. It had happened. I had to go on with life.

My headphones were taken off my head by not-me, causing me to jump off my skin only to come face to face with a worried looking dad.

Let me repeat that.

My dad. My. Dad. He was right in front of me. In my room. In the morning.

Yeah I know it’s the weekend, but even at that, he was never home. He was in when I was already asleep and out before I woke up.

“Have you been crying?” he shook me off my shock literally by shaking my shoulders.

I was short of words. I was stammering. “Uh…” and then it hit me. I was mad at him, there was no way to hide it, “like you care. Why are you here?”

He sighed; frustrated, he let his hands drop to his side. “I live here, Carter.”

“Don’t!” I pointed out, “don’t call me Carter. I’ve told you a million times.”

“I forget sometimes. Hey. Give me some credit. I called you Jordan all through your birthday night.”

I was frustrated, but I happened to be such a good actress, so I smiled at him and asked once more, “What do you want?”

“Why have you been crying?” he was stern, and the stare down we were having wasn’t easing things up for me.

“Dad. It’s nothing, really.” I walked to my mirror and stared at my reflection. Staring back at me was a hypocrite. A broken girl who walks like she’s got the world in her hand.

“Your Aunt Alicia would be paying us a visit in two weeks.” He cut me off my moment of reflection. “They’ll be staying for the weekend.”

“They?”

“Her family. Children and husband.” He confirmed.

I scowled at the word ‘children’. Not child, people. He said children. I cringed. Don’t get me wrong. I loved Aunt Alicia. I don’t know how she was connected to us in any way, I mean she wasn’t even my dad’s sister, cousin… she was just his ‘friend’. What I really didn’t fancy was having to take care of children. “How many?”

“Two. They’re twins.”

Twins. How exasperating.

“They wont cause much trouble. They're still a few months old.” He cleared out, noticing me almost fall into a heart attack.

I nodded and headed to the room door, opening it and showing him the way out. He had passed his information down and now it was time for him to leave.

He got the hint and began walking towards the exit, but just when I thought I could shut the door, he stopped and turned to me. “I was thinking I could take my lovely daughter out to a fancy dinner tonight. What do you say?”

I was surprised by his outburst… speechless even. But then again, having dinner with him would be like being eaten by a whale, surviving and escaping just to find out you jumped into the mouth of a shark. “I’d say go for it, if you have another daughter, that is.”