Chapter Thirty One - Love Me

Start from the beginning

I nod. "Do you love him?" She questions.

I bite the inside of my mouth. "Yes," I say eventually. "But that's what I'm scared of mom."

"Of what hunny?" My mom frowns at me and drops her hands from my face to hold my hand.

"I thought I loved Josh but now I've realised whatever I felt for him wasn't love, what I feel for Kayden is so real and so pure. It scares me because I have no idea how to deal with these feelings," a hand rakes through my hair roughly. "I'm not making any sense."

"Kayleigh, let me be honest with you for five seconds." My mom says sternly.

I glance up at her.

"From the sounds of things, what you and Kayden have is very special. But you need to take this whole situation by the reigns and get control back. You know how you feel Kayleigh, I know you do. You're just scared of what might happen in the future or if you guys go through a rough patch again." My mom explains. "But you can't let these things hold you back, you two are in love with each other. He treats you well, go to him."

I knew her words were true, I was just scared and I decided to hide rather than face my problems. And I knew how I felt about Kayden. Of course I wanted to be with him, I just never have had someone care about me the way he does. I wasn't used to it, so instead of accepting it I just pushed him away.

My lips pull down into a frown, I shake my head. "He probably hates me, I haven't spoke to him in two weeks."

"Look at me Kayleigh," my mom says and I shift my eyes to hers. "If he really loves you, he'd understand what you are going through. He'd understand you need space and he would be there for you with open arms ready to give your relationship another go. But this time with some support and better communication between you both."

"You think he will?" I question blinking back my tears.

She gives me a full supportive smile. "Real men will wait, trust me."

The drive back to Michigan was a killer. I felt sick, so sick I actually thought I might have to pull over to vomit. But I kept myself together and drove on.

Deciding not to tell Kayden I was coming, I decide to turn up at his house instead. When I see his house in the distance, my hands begin to shake against the steering wheel. My stomach churned in knots, a wave of nausea crashed over me.

I sit in the car for a few moments as I wait outside and collect my thoughts. "You can do this Kayleigh," I mumble to myself as I take my keys out of the ignition.

My legs carry me to the front door and I knock loudly three times before taking a step back.

After a few moments a boy with blonde curly hair opens the door, his small frame covered in a sweater and sweatpants. "Hi," he smiles.

"Hi," I breathe out. "Is Kayden here?"

The boy nods. "He's upstairs," he then moves out of the way for me.

"Thank you," I say before making my way upstairs.

My fingers gingerly touch the wooden handrail as I take each step. My chest was contracting and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack any damn second. When I'm stood outside his door, I can see inside partially as the door is ajar. The radio is playing quietly.