Chapter 18: Friends?

Start from the beginning

"Come on, just try it on. I insist." Sana says with her cutest voice knowing Tzuyu can't resist it.

Tzuyu sighs and nods, letting Sana lead her into the shop. Sana leaves Tzuyu on a bench near the fitting room and starts roaming around the shop. When she returns, she has a stack of clothes on her arms and hands them over to Tzuyu. "Try these on, it's a full outfit."

Tzuyu slowly steps into the fitting room and change into the new outfit. She has to admit Sana has good eyes. The squirrel chose for her a red shirt with black leather jacket and dark blue ripped jeans. She checks herself out in the mirror for a while before opening the door to show Sana. Sana looks up from her phone and her jaw drops immediately.

"Wait here. I think I found just the perfect thing." Sana runs off and comes back with a grey cap on her hands. "Tie your hair up and wear this." Tzuyu ties her hair into a bun and puts on the cap. Sana gasps and giggles. "Ooooh, Tzuyu-oppa."

Tzuyu blushes and hides her face. Sana pulls Tzuyu's hands down. "Come stand there and let me take a picture."

"Noooo. I don't want to, it's cringe." Tzuyu whines and crosses her arms.

"Come on, one picture only. Please, you look so handsome." Sana pleads.

Tzuyu gives in again and poses for Sana. Sana cheers happily and sends the picture to Tzuyu. "I'm gonna post this as well." At this point, Tzuyu is too tired to protest, she just sighs and stands behind Sana to see what she posts.

"Found this hottie at the mall. He said he's single 😉" Sana mutters and types the cation then posts the photo. She turns around to Tzuyu. "Change back to your clothes. I'll pay."

Tzuyu frowns. "You don't need to. It's expensive." Tzuyu lowers her voice to a whisper.

"I want to buy it for you. You bought me a ring Yoda. Just let me."

After buying the outfit, the two girls walk out of the shop. "What shall we do next?" Tzuyu asks. Sana glances at the taller girl and smirks. After another hour in the mall, they are now carrying a dozen of bags from many different stores. Tzuyu chuckles after seeing Sana struggles with the bags. "I thought you say we're only window shopping." She holds out her arm to help Sana with some of the bags.

"You're going to the mall with Minatozaki Sana. And she doesn't do window shopping." Sana joking says.

"Does Minatozaki Sana often talk in third person?" Tzuyu pokes Sana's cheek and the two laughs.

"Sana?" A voice calls out from behind them making them turn around. Mark jogs towards them with a wide grin. Sana quickly runs to him and wraps him in a hug. "What are you doing here?" He asks while kissing Sana's cheek.

"I'm shopping with Tzuyu. We went out with Mina and Momo earlier today but they ditched us." Sana chuckles and leads him towards Tzuyu.

"Hi Tzuyu." Tzuyu simply nods while keeping her stoic expression. "Mark."

"Come, let me take you home Sana." Mark holds Sana and starts to drag her away.

Sana abruptly pulls her arm back, surprising both Tzuyu and Mark. "I still have some plans with Tzuyu."

"It's late Sana, come on." Sana takes a look at her watch and glares at Mark. "It's eight. And we're teenagers, I'm pretty sure I can stay out a little longer."

"Okay then. I'll be with my friends then." Mark says then struts away.

Sana hooks her arm with Tzuyu's and drag the Taiwanese to the arcade. She makes a beeline towards the boxing machine and puts on the gloves. "Hand me two coins, Tzu." Tzuyu doesn't ask and hands over the coins, letting Sana unleash on the machine.

"Why.Does.He.Always.Treat.Me.Like.A.Baby?" Sana yells each word after every punch and right now Tzuyu is genuinely scared. She didn't know Sana packs such a punch. The scores on the game are still rising at a rapid pace. Sana stops after a while and flops down on one of the benches nearby. She pats the space next to her, telling Tzuyu to sit.

"He's always like that. Always wants to know where I go, always ask what I'm doing. But when I ask him those things, he always says he went out with his friends, why should I bother?" Sana sighs and rubs her face with her hands. "I mean he's a good guy, but he's also an ass sometimes." They sit in silence for a while, the music from the games plays in the background while their minds race with different thoughts. Tzuyu glances over at Sana and sees the other girl is staring at her. The multi-colored neon lights illuminate their faces, making their faces look like they're glowing, at least that's how Sana's face looks like to Tzuyu. They keep their gaze on each other for a long while, none of them wants to end the moment. In a split second, Tzuyu actually thinks Sana is leaning closer but she looks away too soon to be sure.

"I think we should go home. We have classes early tomorrow." Sana nods slowly and stands up while Tzuyu gather the shopping bags and they walk out of the mall together. The car ride back to Sana's house is silent, not deafening, but not comfortable either. None of them comes up with anything to talk about and it turns into a staring contest between them and the traffic lights at every intersections. Tzuyu pulls up in front of Sana's house and unlocks the car door for her. Sana reaches behind to grab her bags and slowly steps out of the car. She lingers behind for a while then decides to turn back and look at Tzuyu. "I had fun today. Despite all that thing earlier." Sana manages a small smile. Tzuyu smiles back. "Me too. We should do this again sometimes. Just us, maybe. If you want to, of course." Sana giggles at Tzuyu. "I would love to."

"Mom, Dad. I'm home." Tzuyu arrives at her house. Her parents are having dinner while watching TV. "Hi, honey." Her Mom comes up and kisses her cheek. "Did you have fun today?" Her Dad asks.

"Yeah, sure. It's good." Tzuyu answers simply.

"I don't want to annoy you with this again, but who gives their friend a ring as a very first gift?" Her Mom chuckles. Her Dad slowly raises his hand and her Mom nods. "Exactly, we're not just friends." Tzuyu chuckles lightly, shakes her head and makes her way upstairs to her room.

Meanwhile, Sana is about to go to sleep when she remembers she hasn't taken off Tzuyu's ring. She is about to slip it off then she hesitates, a small smile appears on her face and she just leaves it on.

The two girls' phones suddenly ring with a notification from Instagram. Jisoo commented on their selfie earlier today.

"@tzuyoda @m.sana Are you two sure you're not on a date yourselves? 😉😉 " The question is easy, they're not, but strangely enough, the two girls have to think hard about their answers. They both like the comment, turn off their phones and go to sleep. That problem is for another day, they don't want to ruin a perfect day like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: We're approaching the most important event in the book, the year-end concert. That story arc will start in the next chapter with another minor timeskip. However, I will be away for a few days after this so there won't be any new chapters in the next 5 days or so. I hope you would still stick around for more.

Have a nice day, readers.