Twenty One

Picture// Beta Kody
Song// Iris The GooGoo Dolls

The night sky had dimmed the light in the cave, only a sliver of milky light from the moon casting onto my mates face.

We laid together on our sides, relishing in the moment of peace we had found ourselves in.

Kody and Casper had fallen into a deep sleep awhile ago. Casper's small form was tucked into Kody, his face buried into his mate.

I bit my lip as I stare at my mate through one good eye. His caramel eyes scanned my own face, trailing down my skin and leaving a hot feeling behind.

I would've found it weird that we were just staring at each other, but I rather liked the view.

"Your eyes are gorgeous." Alex whispers, his face so close to mine I could feel his minty breath on my cheeks.

"You mean my eye." I smirk, referring to my injured eye being swollen shut.

He rolls his eyes with a smile, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"I think they are both beautiful, even though you kinda look like a pirate." He beams at me.

I chuckle lightly, trying to be quiet for my beta and his mate.

It was moments like these that made everything in my life worth it. All the pain and suffering I had been through- it was leading me to this moment right here with Alex.

"Do you think Blood Moon will attack Black Wolf?" He questions, rubbing my hand which was tucked between our bodies.

I swallow harshly, "Yes."

There wasn't a doubt in my mind that Blood Moon would infiltrate Black Wolf.

"But I'm not a human anymore, why would they care?" He furrows his brows.

I lightly rub the frown between his thick eyebrows with the tip of my finger.

"I think this is more than just you being human, Alex." I sighed.

"I'm a woman in power, and they don't like that. They blamed it on you being a human- but I think it's deeper that that." I explain more, clenching my jaw.

He nods, "Well I think you are an amazing Alpha."

I smile at my mate, who was so genuine and sweet it made my heart flutter.

"An even better one now that I have you." I mumble, staring into his caramel eyes in a trance.

He leans closer to me, his lips parting as he stares into my eyes. I bridge the gap, placing my lips onto his soft ones.

There weren't loud, extravagant fireworks like in the books. Instead I felt something that was arguably twenty times better than silly fireworks.

I felt comforted, loved, protected- calm. For once I wasn't worried or stressed out, I was just here with my mate.

It was the best feeling in the entire world, as he moved his lips against mine.

As he reluctantly pulls back, he grins at me with a blush. I return the smile, leaning back down to lay on the hard dirt floor of the cave.

"You're pretty good." He quirks a brow at me, his eyes sparkling in the moonlight.

"Really?" I scrunch my nose.

He nods, "Hands down the best kiss I have ever gotten."

I blush, wondering how many girls I had beat out for the number one spot.

He grasps my cheek lightly, being careful to not touch the cuts and bruises.

"Relax, I've only kissed two or three girls." He chuckles, making me feel lighter.

"Oh." I say lamely.

"What about you?" He asks with narrowed eyes and a smirk.

"What about me?" I lift a brow.

"How many boys have had the pleasure of kissing you?" I could tell he was joking, but there was a sort of possessiveness in his eyes as he asked the question.

"None." I admit, feeling like a total loser.

His jaw slacks, "No way."

I nod, "I took the Alpha title at fourteen- there wasn't much time for dating."

Alex seems to be deep in thought, his dumb rubbing circles on my side as his large arm held me to him.

"That's a lot of responsibility to take on so young." He says quietly.

He really had no idea. I was forced to grow up faster than most, and I missed out on a lot of things other kids got to do.

I was homeschooled after my parents died by Kodys mom, I trained every day for hours, only to come in and learn more from Kody's dad about how to actually run a pack.

I missed football games, homecoming, graduation, parties, spring break.

While others were out having fun and making memories, I was in my office.

I tried not to think about it much, seeing as how my job is very important and my destiny as a Black.

But sometimes, I wish I had fonder memories from my teenage years.

Kody and Jude also had to take on a lot at a young age. Kody needed to train alongside me so we could work together as Alpha and Beta.

Jude had to become more self-sufficient.

I wasn't the only one affected by my parents death, and I reminded myself that any time I started pitying myself

"Tell me more about your childhood." I change the subject, drawing circles on his bare chest.

He sighs, blinking a few times.

"My parents died in a car crash when I was young, and as you know I was sent to a boy home because we didn't have any family that would take me in." He explained, making my heart clench for him.

"It wasn't terrible living there, but I always felt so invisible and unimportant I guess." He shrugged.

I nod along, kissing his shoulder in support.

"When I was eighteen, I moved out and got a job at the coffee shop in town. I stayed in shitty motels for six months until I met Bethany-" I cut him off.

"Bailey." I snicker.

He chuckles, rolling his eyes.

"Anyway, I know it sounds weird but it felt like she was leading me somewhere unknowingly- I guess it was just to you." He looks down at me smiling.

That's when I knew it.

Well, maybe I did feel it prior to this moment and chose to ignore it.

But it was crystal clear that I was totally and crazily in love with Alex West.