One

Picture// Alpha Riley Black

My aching fingers danced across the keyboard quickly; as the sun's rays bled through the window behind me.

A headache settled into my temples and sent red hot pain through my brain.

I had been working on Black Wolf's accounting books since the sun set; last night.

It was now nearing lunch time and I had yet to be disturbed. My pack knew not to come knocking on my office door today.

It is the fifth of November.

Also the anniversary of my mother's death; my father following after her tomorrow on the sixth.

Mom died of poisoning, while my dad died of a broken heart.

They have been gone for four years now and their memory hasn't faded in the slightest.

I see them everywhere I look.

I swallow harshly, glancing away from my computer screen to their portraits above the fireplace.

Their faces were a bittersweet reminder that they were always looking over me and the pack.

I run my eyes over the picture, committing it to memory- just as I have done a million times before.

Over the years I have learned never to take anything for granted. Even this portrait could be here this second, and gone the next. So I studied it, memorizing every stroke of paint like it would disappear in an instant.

I inherited my mother's messy, mocha curls and my father's steel blue eyes. I sat at an average height, seeing as my father was very tall and my mother was short.

My hips jutted out just like my moms did. My nose was splashed with freckles like my dad when he was younger.

They were the best Alpha and Luna that Black Wolf has ever had. It often terrified me that I would never be able to fill their shoes.

My mother was a strong-willed human, who was born into poverty but still managed to receive a doctorate in psychology at Yale.

She met my father in a coffee shop, where he fell madly in love with his mate at first sight.

Mom was freaked out about werewolves when my father first told her after a year of dating.

Eventually, she met the pack and fell in love with the wolves inside of it.

My father was a kind man with a heart for others. But he never let others take advantage of him. He ran Black Wolf with strict rules that kept everyone in order.

He loved my mother like she was the moon itself. It was ironic that the same love that breathed life into him, sucked the life out of him.

I loved my dad very much, he was an outstanding father, husband, and Alpha.

I still can never get over the fact that he left me here alone with a pack and a little brother raise.

I understood that losing a mate can destroy you; but I will never understand why he chose death over my brother and I.

I began shadowing him when I turned ten. At the time, I didn't expect to take on the large responsibility until I reached twenty.

Now here I was at the ripe age of eighteen, working on accounting books while other teenagers shop for homecoming dresses.

I'm not spiteful of the fact that I had to grow up quickly- being an Alpha was my destiny.

However, sometimes I wished I could've enjoyed my childhood a little more.