Chapter 30 // Jesse

[Fargo, ND]

[Fargo, ND]

The world seemed to be against me.

Only yesterday had Chantelle and Preston departed to go to Florida, but tonight I had another commitment with Kennedy which had been abruptly sprung on me the moment I turned up to rehearsal and Pauline was sat in the corner, waiting. She, of course, had been the one to notify me of this. We'd finished our Canadian leg of the tour and now we were back in America, finishing this next segment.

Yesterday I had been reprimanded by Lewis and my lead choreographer regarding my performance during my concert, though Pauline seemed to love that I wasn't up to my usual standard; she claimed that it was only adding fuel to the fire regarding Kennedy and what was going on with us.

"Publicity," she stated, "will be beneficial for you in the long-run. The more Kennedy's name is in the headlines now, the less probable that she will need a second contract to follow this one up."

It was then after Pauline had ambled away where I received a vital lecture from Lewis. "Now that Chantelle is away, it seems to me as though Kennedy will feel more inclined to exploit that vulnerability."

"I know," I interjected, cutting his speech short. "I get it. Just don't touch her, right?"

"Right," he concurred, eyes narrowing.

Taking into account that this time we wouldn't be seen at a sit-down meal and instead venturing into a private showing of Truth or Dare? at the local cinema, it was easier said than done to not touch her. We'd be sitting adjacent to one another and I knew she would try any of the tricks of the trade such as accidentally brushing her hand with mine as we both coincidentally reach for the popcorn at the same time.

As I loitered in the reception of the hotel for my driver as Preston was now absent and had landed in Florida with Chantelle, I composed a message to send to her. The paparazzi had already spotted the two of them but were clueless as to their origin of where they had flown from. That was part of the information that the staff on the private jet were legally bound to not leak in fear of breaching their NDAs we had them sign, though all this was of second nature to them with their occupation of working on private jets.

Jesse: I'll call you later tonight after I'm back, okay? Please don't torture yourself by searching up any articles x

She replied instantly.

Chantelle: I'll look forward to your call. And I'll try not to. Preston's unpacking right now so I decided to stick on a Disney movie x

Her confession elicited a smile from me knowing that she was watching a Disney movie, but then I had to remind myself that they were sharing a hotel room. "Two single beds at the opposite end of the room" was what I requested, and what I achieved was "two single beds with two bedside tables between them" which was what the hotel delivered. Close, so I'll take it. My behaviour seemed to be a source of amusement for Chantelle when the plan had been devised, so I was just thankful for that.