Chapter 23 // Chantelle

[Cleveland, OH]

[Cleveland, OH]

Kennedy and Jesse's names were a constant in the media since Preston's arrival.

"BACK IN TOUCH," SOURCE CLOSE TO KENNEDY CLAIMS ABOUT HER AND JESSE HARRIS

JESSE HARRIS AND EX KENNEDY HARPER "PLAN TO MEET UP AGAIN"

It was all bullshit. But the world was buying into it, garnering as much "detail" as possible.

It was beginning to affect Jesse more than he was letting on because he was typing consistently on his phone and when I asked what he was typing, he simply said "a note" and I knew he was venting. He was even scrawling more lyrics in his notepad which he kept with him at all times, virtually. Even when he went to rehearsal, he'd take the notepad with him. He also left it backstage during his concerts.

Sometimes he'd even disappear in the nights. I'd wake up at two in the morning and he'd be missing, but when I wake up properly in the morning, his arm will be draped over my body. When I quizzed him on it, he merely states he needs some fresh air and stands on the balcony (if our hotel room possesses one) or wanders around the hotel to "clear his head". It seemed reasonable so I never questioned it.

With Jesse being a main subject in the media, even when we're spotted by paparazzi, they're querying whether Jesse is going to release any new music, despite being on this tour for roughly nine months. I can feel his hand squeezing mine when he's asked, but he takes the self-controlled route which is to promote the new song with Chad Murray. He'd play it off with a smile on his face, but he wouldn't say a word for ten minutes after until he'd managed to expel the negativity from him.

Which, perhaps, was why I was spending more time with Preston during Jesse's rehearsals or any meetings he had to be present in and I had some downtime. Sometimes he wanted to be on his own to strum on his guitar and practice his new lyrics. He hadn't confided in me whether he had written a whole new song, but I knew he must have had at least eighty per cent of the song written, if not more.

"You on your own?"

Glancing to my side, Preston was standing on the steps to the tour bus, watching me as I was sat at the table on my laptop. Truthfully, I had been scouring the Internet, remaining abreast on the latest media frenzies. So far it was quite quiet regarding Jesse or Kennedy so temporary normalcy had been restored.

"Yeah. Jesse's in a meeting with Lewis, Pauline and Angela," I answered, gesturing for him to enter. I had been so engrossed with my online activity that I hadn't even heard the sound of the tour bus opening.

"Angela the agent?"

"That's the one."

He closed the bus door and ambled to me. "What does he need an agent for? I would understand if he was an actor or model."