Chapter 45

Mariska ended up going into surgery and she was able to finally move her legs again. With the help of a cane, she managed to get around as she worked on building strength in her lower extremities. She ended up going to therapy to help get through the daily problems she had when it came to getting flashbacks about the shooting.

Sophia's arm was doing better, but the scar was bigger than it started. She still got nightmares and ended up in therapy nearly four days a week because she had severe PTSD. It ended up causing her to start online schooling because she was having a hard time facing the outside world. She didn't feel safe anymore, even if their new house had a lot of security, a large gate, and loads of security cameras.

The twins were fine and didn't seem to care too much about what had happened now that their mother and sister were home again. 

Peter continued to take care of his wife and children, but his relationship with Sophia was strained. He just didn't seem to really understand why she was having a much harder time dealing with the aftermath of the shooting, compared to Mariska. He didn't like that she barely left the house, or that she was on medication to help her sleep and to help with her depression and anxiety.

===

Two years after the shooting, Sophia was 18 and the twins were five. Mariska was enjoying her life as an actress, wife, and mother. But she didn't like that Sophia and Peter barely talked.

"What did you decide to major in?" Mariska asked, as she and Sophia sat down and ate dinner in her trailer during their dinner break.

"Uh, social work," Sophia replied quietly.

"I'm glad you picked that, Soph! You are going to do great!" Mariska exclaimed. Sophia nodded slowly, before sitting her fork down and grabbing her bottle of water. She took a sip from it before going back to eating.

She didn't say anything to her mother, but she knew that her mother was taking a small break before asking another question.

"How are you and Jackson?" Mariska asked, and Sophia shrugged a bit.

"Dunno... I guess we are okay. He's going to Stanford and I'm going to Hudson. We are probably going to break up." Sophia breathed.

"I'm sorry, honey-"

"Just ask the question you want to ask, Mother," Sophia grumbled.

"What happened between you and your father? You don't talk anymore, and when you do share a word or two it's always because of anger. Tell me what is happening, Soph."

"Ask him. Because I'm only feeding off of the emotions he is showing me. I don't know if it's because of the shooting because I climbed out of that dresser thing and let you got shot. Or maybe it's because of what I've been dealing with since the shooting. The night terrors, the depression, anxiety. The intense therapy and medication. Mom, he just doesn't like something about me anymore." Sophia sighed. She closed her box of noodles before standing and going to throw them away.

"Finish those, Sophia. Now." Mariska ordered.

"Why? It doesn't matter if I eat or not anymore."

===

Mariska went home after Sophia left and drove over to Koda's. Mariska opened the front door and heard the kids playing in the living room. Missie and Luke came running to her and hugged her tightly, before running back to play. Mariska slowly walked into the kitchen and stopped when she saw her husband washing the dishes after his dinner with the twins.

"Can I ask you something, Peter?" Mariska breathed, as she walked towards him. He looked over at her and the smile that had formed on his lips when he heard her voice faded when he saw her expression.

"Ask me anything." He replied.

"What is your issue with Soph?" Mariska replied.

"I have no issue with her," Peter replied.

"Really? Because the only time you two talk is when you are fighting with her. And she makes it seem like what is happening to you since the shooting is the reason why you are angry at her." Mariska replied. Peter sighed before nodding.

"I don't know if she's faking it, Rish. I feel like she's having all of these 'problems' because she wants attention." Peter replied. He stuck his hands back into the water before scrubbing one of the plates.

"She isn't faking it, Peter. Just like I'm not faking the chest pains and the trouble breathing during intense scenes. I'm not faking the stiffness when I wake up in the morning. She was shot by her biological father. I'd be worried if she wasn't scared or responding like this." Mariska replied.

"Maybe her being out of the house will be a good thing. She'll be staying in the dorms so she can deal with her so-called problems by herself." Peter replied. He rinsed the suds from the plate before turning and sitting it in the dish drainer.

"So much for being her father even if she doesn't have your blood flowing through her veins." Mariska huffed, before turning around and helping the twins clean up.

===

Koda and Sophia laid on the floor of Koda's room and looked at the glow in the dark stars on her ceiling.

"So, are you sure you want to room with me at Hudson?" Koda asked, and Sophia nodded as she looked at her friend and smiled.

"Of course I do. And you'll be able to help me through this." Sophia breathed.

"Still not talking to your Dad?" Koda asked, and Sophia nodded slowly.

"Yeah. My mom and I talked about it tonight and it didn't change a thing." Sophia replied.

"You are an adult now, Soph. We are going to be in a dorm together and then we are getting that apartment eventually. Everything is good and will be good." Koda grinned.

"Jackson and I are probably gonna break up. The distance is going to be a huge problem."

"But you love each other, Soph." Koda breathed.

"Yeah, but that doesn't keep people together. My mom and Chris loved each other but that didn't change him leaving us."