Chapter 18

Sophia and Peter danced as soon as she was introduced as the birthday girl. They swayed together slowly, and Peter talked about how much she has grown up and it almost made him sad.

"Why does it make you sad?" Sophia asked as she looked up at him.

"Because it's like my kid is a beautiful young woman now. I feel old." He laughed softly, before leaning down and kissing Sophia's forehead gently.

"Mom said the same thing when we got the twins. She said that she wasn't remembering correctly what having a little kid was like. But then she had to chase after two this time." Sophia smiled. 

Peter spun Sophia around a few times before the music stopped and they parted. Sophia led Peter over to where Mariska was standing and pushed him towards her. Mariska laughed as she steadied him after he stumbled and smiled at the tall man that stole her heart awhile ago.

"Hey there." She grinned, and he laughed softly.

"I think you and I need to talk about something, Rish." He spoke, and she nodded.

"Okay, uh, now would probably be the best time since they are just dancing before dinner. What is this about?" Mariska asked, as Peter grabbed her hand and held it gently in his.

"I want to date you again, Rish. Like I really want to be with you again." He smiled. They stopped near the gift table, and Mariska got on her tip toes to kiss him. He wrapped his arms around her body as a smile worked its way onto his lips. 

"I think my mom is dating Peter again." Sophia smiled, as she stood next to Koda.

"They are super cute together. Hopefully, he knows about the twins." Koda laughed, as they turned away from watching Mariska and Peter kiss and found the twins dancing together.

"Oh, I'm sure he will be fine with it. Look at them, they are too adorable to not want. I still don't know how their parents didn't want them."

"It was because they are meant to be with your mother and you."

===

Those that attended the party ate dinner about an hour after the party started, then the dancing started up again and the photobooth was opened. Koda, Sophia, and the twins took so many pictures that Mariska was going to have a wall covered in just the silly pictures of those she cared about.

When Sophia got back from taking Missie to the bathroom, a cute boy from her school was standing on the wall and waiting for her.

"Hey, Sophia. Uh, can we dance?" Jackson asked.

"Yeah, I'd like that." Sophia smiled. She leaned down to Missie and whispered something in her ear before grabbing Jackson's hand and leading him to the dancefloor.

He placed his hands to what he thought were her hips, but it ended up being more of her skirt. She laughed softly before moving his hands to where he had wanted them to be.

"Thanks for coming, Jackson. Your tie matches my dress." Sophia smiled.

"Thanks for inviting me, Soph. And I saw the picture you posted on Instagram and I thought that maybe to show you that I have a crush on you, I should match you a bit." He smiled. But then he blushed because he had just admitted to Sophia that he had a crush on her.

"I like it, a lot. Uh, I like you too." Sophia breathed, before pecking his cheek gently. Both of their faces grew red and hot, and those watching thought it was adorable, especially Mariska.

"Look at them, Peter. Look at... our... girl." Mariska whispered. Peter already was holding Mariska close and he kissed the top of her head.

"Did you talk to Chris today? I bet he was realizing that today is her birthday." Peter spoke, as his eyes were drawn away from Sophia and to where the twins were trying to steal some frosting from the cake.

"One moment, Peter." Mariska sighed before she ran to where the twins were. She picked one up with each arm and carried them away.

"Don't steal any frosting, you two. Do you understand?" She asked, before preparing herself to sit them down again.

"Awe, Mommy, we want cake already!" Luke exclaimed.

"Just wait till Soph is done dancing, honey. Now, go find Donna. I think that she might want to dance with you two."

"Okay, but we demand cake soon, Mommy," Missie spoke, as her mother released her small body.

"Oh, okay Missie. I promise you that you can have cake soon. Now, run along." Mariska smiled. She watched as her youngest two kids ran towards Donna, and she turned back to Peter.

"Chris found out, and he was here. He saw you and Sophia walking out together. He was crying but he waved at me... I don't know if he wanted to stay here or if he just wanted to see her."

"Maybe he left her a gift and then just wanted to leave before she saw him. He probably didn't want to ruin her birthday." Peter replied quietly.

"That would be mighty big of him," Mariska spoke before Peter reached out and grabbed Missie and Luke by their arms when they ran past to try and sneak some more cake.

"Nice try, little troublemakers."

===

At the end of the night, Sophia was walking on clouds. She and Jackson had shared an awkward kiss, the first for each of them, but then he asked her out on a date which was something she had never expected to happen. Sophia sat in the middle of the dance floor with Peter, Mariska, Donna, the twins, and Koda as she opened gifts.

"This one is so small," Sophia spoke because she was confused about the size of the gift compared to the jingle of its contents.

Sophia took the ribbon from the box and placed it next to the several other ones on the top of Missie's head.

"What is it, Soph?" Mariska asked as Sophia opened the box. Sophia pulled out a pair of keys and looked at her mother.

"You got me a car?" Sophia whispered, and Mariska shook her head.

"No, I didn't. You have your permit and all, but I thought we'd go car shopping together. What car?"

"It has the Tesla symbol on it. Are you sure? Peter?"

"Let's go see if we can find it, Soph," Peter spoke, before standing and helping Sophia up.

They went outside and Sophia hit the panic button and after a few moments, she saw a black Model 3 Tesla sitting in the parking spot beside Mariska's car. It had a bright red bow on the front hood, and Sophia didn't know what to say. She walked over and unlocked the car before grabbing the handle and opening the door. She grabbed a small note on the driver seat before opening it slowly.

I may not be around, and you may not like me at all, but I love you. Sophia, I hope you had a great day and I hope you like the gift...

~Chris