23 "Don't ever ignore me again. Ever."

I went home quite upset. To my surprise, Jasper was standing in front of our gate. I halted, and we stared at each other for a moment. He had his dark brown hairs cut, which made his jaw line stand out even more distinctive. He wore a navy T-shirt, a pair of his signature pale blue jeans, and white sneakers.

It's only been two weeks, why does it feel like we had turn from lovers to strangers?

At last, I walked up towards him. "What are you doing here?" I didn't mean to sound peevish, but I did.

He frowned. I pushed the key into the keyhole.

"We need to talk." His voice lacked any kind of emotion, putting me on the alert.

I put the key back into my pocket. "Let's go to the park."

We walked in silence until we reached a bench facing the pond in which three or four ducks were swimming.

"Why didn't you answer my phone calls and text messages?"

"Just because," I replied stubbornly. It'd be childish to admit my jealousy over his best friend.

"Fine." He concluded severely. "Who was the guy you were with in the past two weeks?"

I suppressed my indignation at the interrogation. "Matt. My ex."

He inhaled sharply. "Wow. It that the reason why you've been ignoring me? 'Cause you have such a great time with your ex?" He barked.

Now I couldn't remain calm any longer. "Well, I wasn't sure whether I'd have disturbed you and your precious friend!"

He ran his fingers through his hairs. "For God's sake, Ellen! Though it's fucking adorable when you get jealous, but Josie's like a sister. Her mum is best friend with mine, and her dad left her when she was six. Therefore, her mum, being a nurse, had to work more night shifts in order to make enough money to provide for Josie, which in turn resulted in less time to look after her. My mum offered to help. Josie and I basically grew up together."

Guilt suffused me. God. How stupid I was. "I'm sorry."

He touched my arm, hesitantly. I flinched a little, pulling away instantly. He opened his mouth to protest but I preempted him.

"We both know that Josie is not the problem in our relationship," I remarked. "It's us. Our nature. We don't trust each other sufficiently."

"Trust comes with time," he contradicted.

"Provided that there's a foundation," I said sourly. "We are in the earliest stage of a relationship, and we've already commenced doubting each other. I'd probably never really understand the special bond between you and Josie. You, on the contrary, drew a conclusion based on a picture."

"Should I not? You are my girlfriend!"

"I would never cheat on you, Jasper. Never."

"Then why didn't you tell me you were going on holidays with him?" He demanded.

"I didn't know, ok?! We haven't been in touch since breaking up so I had no idea he is studying in Vancouver. Riley told him I was coming."

Sensing I hadn't told the entire story, he kept his eyes fixed on me, coaxing me to continue. I threw my hands in the air, exasperated. "Fine! He wants us to get back together. I said no, obviously, and made clear I am in love with someone else."

His countenance softened. Suddenly I was in his arms, and he was kissing me like a mad animal. I opened my mouth, letting our tongues connect. "Don't ever ignore me again. Ever." He bit my lower lip. The slight pain not only caused a moan to escape my throat but also my consciousness to set in. I pushed him away and stand up.

"No," I panted. "We both need space to calm down, to think," I suggested lamely.

He crossed his muscular arms in front of his chest, watching me warily. "Don't even consider getting rid of me. That won't happen," he warned darkly.

"That is not your decision to make," I countered stiffly.

Standing up, he seized my neck and pressed a hard kiss on my lips. "A week, Ellen. That's all I give you. Afterwards I won't let you out of my sight again. I love you." His eyes were full of solemnity and resolution.

My heart stopped at those three words. But he already walked away.