15 "And don't expect to get rid of me so soon."

"Jasper, meet Ellen, my new bestie, a.k.a your counterpart, who never fails to get an A+ in maths," Josie introduced, "and Ellen, meet Jasper, my best friend, who studies maths higher level, whom I need to thank profusely by the way because he was so patient teaching me algebra." She kissed Jasper on the cheek.

"You're welcome." Jasper patted her head affectionately. Josie smiled brightly. Suddenly I felt like a third wheel.

"Hey, I think you two will get along super well since you're both smart-arses." Josie rambled. That's so not true.

"Indeed," Jasper smirked mischievously.

I grimaced. "Yeah, we attend the same geography class, and he's been beyond pleasant so far," I remarked with a tinge of mockery.

Fortunately, the waitress appeared with the food. The conversation was dropped and replaced by sounds of munching.

The portion size would undoubtedly suffice for two person. Jasper inspected my half eaten plate. "Can I have that?"

"You're not full yet?" I looked at him incredulously, pushing my plate towards him.

"Nope," he answered, "I haven't eaten anything since breakfast and had hockey training for three hours. I'm starving."

Josie finished her last piece of chips and said: "I need to get back to the girls. We have some new moves we need to work on. See you guys tomorrow?" She headed towards the exit.

"Have fun!" I waved her goodbye. Jasper did the same.

After we'd paid separately Jasper insisted to take me home. "Only guys poorly mannered would let a girl walk home alone in the dark."

"Where's your bike?" I wondered.

"My brother dropped me off in the morning."

"Do you have a driver's license?"

"I do. But I don't have a car."

"And your brother does?"

"Yeah, he's thirty and working in finance. He can afford it."

"He's twelve years older than you?"

Jasper nodded. "My mother got pregnant with Jeff when she was eighteen."

"Woah. That's damn early," I mumbled. I could never imagine myself as a mum right now. We chatted more as we ambled. I learnt that he's been playing hockey since he was six, and he had a thing for information technology.

"Is that why you're the person in charge of the school's homepage?"

"Partially, yes. But also because I have superb skills." He flashed me a proud grin.

"Such a show-off."

"Nah, if you're genuinely good at something, you should admit it instead of denying. It's called self-confidence. Otherwise you only appear fake."

I let out a tsk. For the rest of the journey we remained in a comfortable silence. The streets were quiet and faintly illuminated by lights. The wind blew a fresh evening breeze. Jasper's aftershave prickled in my nose. It was intoxicating.

Eventually we arrived my place.

"Thanks for walking me home. I appreciate your gentlemanly gesture," I said half-jokingly.

"Everytime, ma'am," he responded aptly, grinning. "See you tomorrow in geography?"

"Sure. Have a good night." I smiled back. Jasper seemed to have a great personality despite his smugness, which made it really hard for me to resist him.

When he was five feet away something occurred to me. "Hey, Jasper!"

He turned. "Yes, Ellen?" He emphasised my name. It struck me how rare I called him by his name. In a trice I felt embarrassed, my cheeks heating up. "Have you come up with a wish?"

He chuckled, approaching once again. "You just can't wait to pay me back, ain't I right?"

I shifted from one foot to another nervously. His eyes sparkled with mischief. "Bullshit. I just aim to cross that off my To-Do list," I denied feebly, avoiding his intense gaze.

He took my chin between his fingers gently, forcing me to look up to his solemn expression. "Don't swear with that pretty mouth of yours. It doesn't fit. And don't expect to get rid of me so soon. Night."

I froze on the spot, my jaw dropped in amazement, as he left. From that moment on, I realised that I was in serious trouble. He was the electron and I was the proton. Nothing could be done to break the attraction.

_

Thanks for reading! Did you like the chapter?