2 "It was wiser to have more friends than enemies."

Shooting up from the seat vehemently, I forced the words out through clenched teeth, my stool tumbled to the floor. "And yes, I found philosophy students insane because the only thing they do is to ask questions instead of solving them. Unfortunately, there are still morons who try to give logical answers only to be contradicted." Resetting my chair, I added: "Sorry if anyone feels offended."

Mr Ragger coughed constrainedly. "Well, I shall be pleased then that geography takes a higher rank in your opinion, Ms Ellen White." He threw me a warning look, indicating to drop the argument now.

I pretended not to get his message. My reputation among my classmates was ruined already. I might as well as cap it all off. "Unfortunately, it does not, Mr Ragger. I can't stand both philosophy AND geography. The reason why I chose geography is that it doesn't send me to sleep straight away. I'm not sure but perhaps you have the right teaching skills to evoke the almost non-existent geographer in me?" I asked tweely.

Normally students would immediately be sent to the director's office for such an force but Mr Ragger lacked authority. Also, he was at the beginning of his teaching career and hence cared way too much about his reputation.

He forced out a smile. "We'll see, young lady. Next please!" He announced hastily, afraid of me challenging him further.

1:0 for me.

Turning to the stout girl who was introducing her neighbour Carla, I noticed the disdain on the face of Korean boy.

Insecurity immediately crept up on me. Being one of the top students, I was used to being looked up to, and not disdained. Still, people didn't like to approach me. If they did, there would be merely one reason for that: They had an exam coming up and needed to copy my notes.

Doubtlessly, I wasn't acting like my usual self. The A-level finals were approaching in the speed of light. That freaked me out.

Out of blue Korean boy stood up abruptly. This time it was his chair that slammed onto the floor carelessly. Tugging his books and his pencil case under his arms, he lowered his voice, menacing: "You keep making a spectacle of yourself. I won't let it affect on my overall performance anyhow."

Then he left, occupying the only empty seat in this room beside the never-speaking Joe. The party was so quiet meanwhile you could hear a pin drop. Mr Ragger finally did something right by introducing the table of contents of the geography book, averting the attention.

Great. Now I felt remorse. Mum taught me that, in spite of not being able to become everybody's darling, I shouldn't make unnecessary enemies. It was wiser to have more friends than enemies. Well, she passed me that advice because I'd inherited her hot-tempered nature and she didn't want me to commit the same mistakes she had done. I wished I had dad's calmness and patience.

As I restlessly stared at the empty spot on my right the door was suddenly yanked open, revealing a guy on its threshold.

Please vote or comment if you like this chapter! Thank you so much!