Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

God, wouldn't it be easy if he just came to me. Or couldn't he just ring me, I would surely answer it this time.

I opened my eyes and glanced at my phone. No missed calls or messages. Maybe he was still to afraid to see me too.

Why was this so difficult? I needed to be with him right now. And the worst part of it all was that I had no one apart from Maria to talk to about my relationship problem. I didn't want my mum to witness another unstable relationship. My dad wasn't someone to turn too and I couldn't talk to the other boys about it. I had no siblings or close relatives. I didn't exactly have many close friends here either. Eugh, I hated this.

As soon as I made my way over to my guitar, I heard the doorbell ring.

I hadn't heard mum's car drive off, so she must have forgotten her keys and locked her self out. But as I went to head on down the stairs to let her in, I heard someone open the door already.

Oh, she was still here.

I let her tend to the person at the door and walked back to my room, plopping on the bed with my guitar in hand.

I heard the voices from downstairs and tried to block them out as I went to playing some chords on my guitar. It sounded so much nicer than anything else I had ever heard. Just the sound of melodic chords from a guitar, they had me feeling so relaxed and eased all that tension.

Well, there was still one sound that could never be quite beaten by the sound of my guitar. Liam's voice. Aha, yeah it sounded cheesy thinking up something like that, but Liam's velvet voice sent me over the edge. It left my hairs standing on end, my spine shivering and my stomach performing summersaults. The things I'd do to hear that voice again.

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard my mum calling me from downstairs.

"Olivia honey, would you please come down here." She sounded a little happier than she had earlier, maybe even a little excited.

But before I left my room, my phone lit up. It was a message from Maria.

From: Maria

Everything will get better Livvy. I promise. Keep your chin up and never stop smiling! xxx

Her text sent my heart aching as I came to think about how much hope she had compared to me. I was so pessimistic about everything.

I didn't reply to the message and shoved the phone in my pocket as I trudged downstairs, trying to force a smile as I went to face my mum.

"In here darling. You have some visitors." She spoke up from the living room as my foot reached the last step.

Something in my stomach flipped as I heard what I thought were some familiar voices making conversation with my mum. A laugh or two sounded, I swear I knew those sounds.

I shook the thoughts away, it wasn't going to be them. I was overthinking, only hearing what I was wanting to hear.

Slowly and confidently, I made my way into the back entrance of the living room.

The people, three of them and my mum, had their backs to me on the couch as I walked in.

But without even having to see their faces, I knew who they were. And one of them in particular caught me off guard. That sandy brown mop of hair, it was all too familiar.

My mum noticed me behind them all as my breath caught in my throat and I staggered to a stop.

"Oh there you are honey. You didn't tell me you were going to have company." She smiled excitedly and looked at me happily.