Chapter Ten

I opened my eyes to a sun low in the sky, and the streets of Venice lighting up below. I was on the roof terrace, my favourite part of the hotel and the place Liam had chosen for our dinner. I smiled, taking in the scene of Venice beneath me. The breeze was gentle and swept strands of my hair across my face. Then my eyes focused on to the tables in front of me. Candles were set out on just one of the tables closest to the edge of the roof with a gorgeous view of the city.

As I slowly walked towards it I heard footsteps behind me and for a moment, I believed Louis was still there.

"So, what do you think?" The sound of Liam's voice raised the hairs on the back of my neck. I turned around to face Liam with a gratified smile.

"It's perfect!" I replied excitedly. Liam laughed, his shoulders seeming to relax after he saw the smile on my face.

Liam wore smart black trousers, a white shirt and a fitted grey blazer over it. I wasn't used to seeing him dressed so smart, and all for our night together.

"I'm not used this." I gestured at his outfit. "Don't take that the wrong way! You look fine. No, I mean you look great. Oh I'll just shut up now." I smiled up at him nervously and brushed a few strands of my hair away from my face in the silence.  I noticed Liam sweeping his eyes up and down a couple of time before looking back at my face. I felt my cheeks burning.

"Olivia, you look incredible."

As I stood there under his gaze, Liam walked up to me and placed his hand on the small of my back, lead me towards the candlelit table, and pulled out a seat allowing me to sit down.

"So then, what's on the menu Mr Payne?" He smirked at me. Then his eyes moved to watch something behind me and that was when I could smell the food. A waiter came towards us, poured our drinks and placed one large plate of traditional Italian Bolognese on our table. Liam nodded at him with a smile and the waiter left.

"We only have one plate." I pointed out.

"I hope you don't mind. I thought a plate each might be a bit too much for us both so I supposed that we could share." He gave me a little awkward smile and went for his fork. But before he started on the spaghetti, he gestured for me to take the first taste.

For most of the meal, we ate in silence, but there were the odd few giggles and laughs when one of us had to slurp up a piece of spaghetti. It all felt so surreal, like something from a movie. Everything just reminded me of Lady and the Tramp but luckily, we were able to avoid the mess of sharing the last piece of spaghetti.

The waiter returned and cleared our dishes, and after we thanked him I remembered the real reason of our meal together. Liam noticed my smile disappear and a concerned look appeared across his face. I cleared my throat.

"Liam. We're here for a reason right, and I want to know what I did to upset you?" I spoke quietly with a sincere expression wishing to myself that I didn't have to say any of this to him. He winced slightly.

"I really don't know what upset me. But it wasn't you. I just – I was surprised when I saw you and him. I thought you weren't really with anyone. Do you- are you still in love with him?" I knew Liam was struggling to bring this up but the words that came out made me feel a spark of anger inside the pit of my stomach. Why was he being so insistent on asking whether I still loved Federico or not? Even if I did, it shouldn't be any of Liam's business.

"Liam, I don't know how much simpler I can make this out for you, but no. I don't love Federico anymore. We ended things and I have already told you this. He kissed me. Please, I didn't want him to and I never want him to again. I've moved on." I had started off as calm as I could, but I felt myself trembling slightly. I was angry that I had let Federico get to me again even when I'd told myself he wasn't worth the hurt.