Chapter-14

"Of course it's true! Why would I lie?" Yana raises her hands in exasperation.

"Because you like making up things."

"Whatever Jungkook did tease Jin asking how's Kinley." She gives me a sideway
smile.

I don't respond. She can make a whole castle of fantasies from a haystack. Its good none of them winked at her or she might assume they were asking her out.

"Hi, Chen." I wave him in the hallway. "Please kidnap my sidekick for a date."

He lets out a whistle and Yana scowls.

"I have to manage the drafts, bye, " she says stiffly and goes the other way.

"You could be cruel sometimes, " Chen says.

"Straight forward you mean." I smile.

* * *

I sip my afternoon coffee in the cafeteria with my eyes closed recalling some loose ends. I have already informed Hana that I'll visit the Centre after evening break when the working hours get over at academy.

I don't want to go empty handed so I made an early morning visit to Sim's room today to put the bills and covering my movement under the papers I connected the drive to his computer. After 15 minutes I returned back to his table acting like I put the wrong bills, my back toward the camera and pulled out the drive. The decoding part Joseph will handle smoothly.

I slip my hand in my pocket and feel the cold weight of the drive. Somewhere even touching it I know it won't reveal anything significant.

I sigh and look down in my cup.

This isn't working maybe I should tell Joseph. Maybe someone else can handle this more skillfully. I feel an uneasy knot building inside my stomach.

I joined CPCI a few years back and it was all by luck. Hana was the one who recommended me at the Centre after I completed my studies as a paramedic professional. Later she introduced me to Joseph who was handling all the cases that accused Ze Tan of trainee abuse, molestation and missing reports.

Joseph already knew about me, courtesies to Hana. My name was  present in the files without my knowledge with all the details under a subheading- pending controversies.

He convinced me to record my statements but never formed any legal case under my name. It was too weak with added complexities of three different perspectives -Ze Tan's, police's and my own.

Joseph had a side plan, to send me to the main and oldest branch of Ze Tan academy. According to him, an insider could make a lot of gains in collecting information.

He was right, I did help him access information including CCTV footage, files, emails, past reports and complains but apparently no evidence.

* * * *

I sneak out a little late, after eight. Xee had asked for a pain relief bandage and afterwards I strolled in the hallway just to be sure no one needed anything else.

I take the busiest streets and people are still crowding around doing night shopping. That's a fad trend here I'll never understand really.

I take a narrow alley and then fork away from the market lights.

I constantly scan my surroundings, not turning my head around but rather in every reflecting surface on my way. Vigilance is a self-explanatory requirement to work stealthily. Sooner you learn, better you are at saving your own skin.

It was after I crossed the park and my eyes were still adjusting to the brightness of streetlight when I notice someone following my trial. First I thought it was my own hyped delusions and to be sure I change lanes.

On one of the intersection mirror, I saw him as a tall silhouette some 30 feet behind me in a black hoodie and a smog mask.

I feel the itch to turn around and shout, duh! I see you. Better luck next time punk.

I keep my head low and quicken my pace. My phone buzz in silent mode but I ignore it.

I have a really sinister plan brewing in my mind and I don't want to lose track of him by making any suspicious move. He will regret his luck today.

I know every street around here like a map because I have to take a new route for every visit, which usually involves strolling on random streets before hitting the main route.

I take another narrow alley which is full of food stalls at this hour. Every stall adds a new whiff of flavours in the air and sizzling sound of roasts make my stomach protest. But I have other business right now.

My phone buzz again and I give it a peek. Jin, what does he wants now?

I look back and stop. I can't spot him. Damn it! How can I lose him?! I cut Jin's phone. His timing is so perfect.

I ball my fist in frustration. Stupid, stupid Jin! That's the worst I can curse because it wasn't his mistake either. I have to learn a lot, maybe it's time to get back to Sherlock series.

I kick a pebble absentmindedly when I saw him again through the crowd. Our eyes meet for an instant and his hand goes straight into his pocket.

I didn't have to think this time, it was instinctive. I run the other way as fast as my legs allowed me.

What was I thinking he will be a random stalker following me empty-handed. Real bright of me.

This extra thrilling knowledge makes the situation more complicated. I can't let him go now. What all he may already know about me. My mouth goes dry. If he is so desperate to find me the reason has to be good.

I can see the narrow alley coming to an end. I will stick to the plan because I can't think of anything else.

As the street ends I turn right hiding myself along the side wall. My breaths came as heavy gasps. He may think I kept on running.

It's a less crowded end but still a few bystanders in front of the park gate frown in my direction. I don't have time for this social awareness.

I listen to his steps. Closer. Closer.

His head appears first at the turn and I punch him straight in the jaw. My hand buzz with the impact but it was worst for him. He lost his balance and fell face down on the floor. His phone drops near my feet.

"Ow...ow!" A muffled voice say and I freeze because it's familiar.

He sits cradling his chin in his hand.

I blink.

His hood has fallen away and his mask dangles from an ear.

"Jin?!"