Chapter-10

"You promised! It's unfair to back off now," the little girl whines as she jumps on her heels.
Her older brother grunts while trying to hang up the chandelier, clearly irritated now.

"Don't hassle him, Lizzie. We'll get a better one for your room, " her dad winks at her.

Lizzie makes dropping face, "When?"

"Real soon."

"Promise Daddy." She jumps again, her little bangs now long enough to reach her eyes.

He scoops get off the ground and she giggles with delight. But when he brings her back she repeats again.
"Promise!"

There is a slight smile on her dad's lips but in a pained attempt she can't quite catch. She's still alien to the complex emotions of this world which sometime binds and sometime breaks.

"Now Lizzie promises are too special to be demanded for pity things."

"But daddy..." She stops mid-sentence as the doorbell rings.
"Bonnie is here Daddy! Don't tell her about the ice cream, " she says pressing one little finger onto his lips and then runs toward the door.

He reclines back on the armchair. She's too small to understand the sacrifices a promise could demand but still, mature enough even at such tender age to understand its not just a simple tug of pinkies.

He opens the morning newspaper expecting the ordinary ordeals of reckless minds. The air is filled with his wife brewing tea and morning grass.

He flips to the second page, his eyes were casually skimming over the headings when the bottom column caught his attention. The little photo almost knocks the air out of him.

She looks different but he recognises those eyes, that unique jawline, that unnaturally pale face and above all, the strange expression, maybe determination.

He holds onto that specific page leaving the rest scattered on the floor. He reads the article, frantically barely breathing in between. Then he reads it again, this time letting his brain to process. Finally, he goes through a third time, slowly taking in every word. There wasn't much but still enough to start with.

He looks at his phone. But should he take this bait? How much will it cost him this time?
He hears the kids laughing in the background. His wife hands him the tea and scowl at the floor.
"Pick that up later."

He nods absentmindedly.

Will the risk be even worth anything, now when everything is already over. She's dead.

He keeps his tea aside. This world is indeed a cruel place, he remembers.