❝ nine.

The sun was already setting yet Wooyoung didn’t want to go home. He had decided he was going to spend the whole night with Yunho and nothing could change his mind on that. Even Yunho himself. He wanted to stay as long as possible. And he wasn’t going to waste his time until he had to go back to work again on the next day.

Wooyoung had gone home for around an hour and a half, coming back with clothes, covers and an inflatable pillow so he had what to sleep on, the pool air mattress and snacks so he wouldn’t stay hungry and to share with Yunho and show him what human food tasted like.

They were in the water for a while, Wooyoung on the mattress and slowly running his fingers in the water. They were staying only at the part where the water was shallower because Yunho didn’t want to drag Wooyoung into deep water when it was getting darker.

“Are you sure you want to stay here even at night?” Yunho asked, his eyebrows slightly curled upwards as he leaned against the end of the mattress where he was facing Wooyoung. “You could go back home to rest at any time you want. Just so you know. I wouldn’t get offended or mad at you.”

“I prefer being with you,” Wooyoung responded, placing his hands on top of Yunho’s and holding them gently. “But, of course, if you don’t want me here and you want to go back home, you can just tell me.”

Yunho hummed and moved his hands a little so he could grab the dark haired boy’s and intertwine their fingers together. “I know it might sound like too much of a request and I know there is no way you could fulfill it but if you could, I wouldn’t want you to leave. Ever.”

“I really wish that was possible.” Wooyoung sighed and rested his head down. He was looking at his and Yunho’s hands, softly playing with his fingers. In the meantime, Yunho leaned a little closer to him, resting his head close to Wooyoung’s and closing his eyes, also sighing.

The evening was warm. Maybe a little warmer than Wooyoung could handle. That was probably what he could expect when it was mid-summer. Even the water was warm enough for him to swim in it. But maybe just for a few minutes. Also, why swim when he much more preferred lying on his mattress and not wasting any energy while enjoying the mermaid’s warmth?

It was becoming really difficult to deny that Yunho was making him feel more at home than any other person or place. He was just special. Not just for Wooyoung, but in general. There was something very unique in his personality and about him that made him stand out more than others. Maybe it was still the fact that he was so kind and gentle in such a genuine way.

Wooyoung tightened his grip on Yunho's hands all of a sudden and pulled slightly away to look at him. “Am I ever annoying to you?” He asked, not sure where he got that thought from. Just as expected, Yunho shook his head and said “no”. “Are you sure?”

“More than sure.” Yunho let go of Wooyoung's hands and cupped his cheeks, squishing them softly. “You’re so amazing, I could never feel bored or annoyed with you.”

“Tell me more.” The other moved a little closer to Yunho, getting curious. He leaned into his touch and closed his eyes once again. “I’m really interested in knowing how you actually feel about me. Sometimes I really can’t help but feel unsure and think you’d be better off without me bothering you.”

Yunho sighed while caressing Wooyoung's cheeks with his thumbs in small circling motions. “I don’t think there’s a possible way to describe how I feel about you with words.”

“Then describe it however you can. I'd try to understand even if it doesn’t make any sense.” Wooyoung giggled.

The mermaid hummed, not taking his eyes off of Wooyoung's face for a while. He was getting embarrassed just trying to think about how he truly felt about Wooyoung. It was making him feel different than he ever did. For Wooyoung he felt something that he felt for none of his friends. It was much deeper than that.

He leaned closer, wondering if he was doing the right thing. There was only one way to find out. He tilted his head to the side and closed his eyes, pressing his lips against Wooyoung's and staying still until he received any kind of response from him.

At first, Wooyoung almost pulled away. He couldn’t realize what was happening, he was not expecting anything like that. In fact, he was only expecting that Yunho would say just a couple of words about how he appreciated him a lot, the kind of things that he would always say out of the blue. But once he actually processed things fully, he kissed back, placing his hands on top of Yunho's.

The kiss lasted only a moment or two but it managed to make their hearts beat like crazy. After they pulled away, Wooyoung's whole face was red and Yunho could barely manage to keep eye contact with him.

“So is this how you feel about me?” Wooyoung asked with a quiet voice, not being able to suppress his wide smile.

Yunho nodded in response, nibbling down on his lower lip nervously. Wooyoung giggled quietly, suddenly feeling like he was on top of the world from happiness that he never imagined he was going to experience in his entire life. He moved from the mattress, going into the water and leaving it to be pushed to he shore by the waves. He wrapped his arms around Yunho's neck and looked at him before giving him one more quick kiss and hugging him tight. Gradually, the mint haired boy felt less embarrassed. He hugged Wooyoung back and buried his face in the crook of his neck.

“So cute,” Wooyoung murmured under his breath and closed his eyes again.

When they finally stopped feeling awkward because of what happened and because they couldn’t completely acknowledge the fact how their feelings for each other were obviously mutual, the two boys were swimming for a while, splashing each other with water and laughing loudly as if nothing had happened. That, or they were suddenly even more comfortable with each other.

Wooyoung went out of the water first when he felt a little cold. He sat down on the sand and wrapped himself in a towel, only his legs and head sticking out. Soon, Yunho also went out and dragged himself next to Wooyoung, placing his hand on the sand behind himself and leaning against it while he moved Wooyoung's wet bangs away from his forehead with his free hand.

“Cold?” Yunho pulled the other boy closer and snuggled him against himself, although he doubted he could provide that much of warmth for him.

Wooyoung only nodded lightly before resting the back of his head against Yunho's shoulder and closing his eyes, letting out a quiet, content hum.

“If a while ago, someone told me that I’d have a crush on a human, I’d never believe it,” Yunho shared while he was lightly rubbing Wooyoung's back with his hand. “But, you know, now that it’s actually happening and as I come to think a little more about it, it’s really not that weird.”

“How can you say such embarrassing things out lout?” Wooyoung giggled and brought his knees to his chest to hide his face against them.

“It’s not like it’s any news for you anymore.”

Wooyoung let out another hum and tilted his head up to look at Yunho, pressing a small kiss against his cheek. “I guess I will need more time than you to come in terms with all this.”

“Take as long as you need.” The mermaid rested his head against Wooyoung's and smiled, hoping nothing would go wrong after that night.