The shadow stepped forward.

"It's okay as long as you let me have that cake." Evelyn's face was illuminated by the fridge light.

"It's Evelyn!" Tim said, "yes!"

"It's not mom. Thanks God." James said.

"So you just stood there and let me make fun of myself?" Mason crossed his arms over his chest.

"It was quite fun to see you suffering." Evelyn smiled.

"Of course. Why not?" He scoffed.

The twins were already cutting the cake and putting it on their plates.

"Not so fast." Mason hold Tim's arm.

"Or we may tell Evelyn that.." Mason clasped his mouth.

"What do you want to tell me?" Evelyn raised her eyebrow.

"Should I?" James asked for the other side.

Mason glared at him.

"Evelyn, do you know.." Before he could finish, Mason interrupted.

"I am giving you two the biggest bites of this cake." He cut the cake.

"What do I not know?" Evelyn stepped forward towards James. He quickly put a piece of cake in his mouth.

"Mom makes nice cakes." Tim came to his rescue. "And Mason always steals them whenever he is here. The next morning mom goes mad and kicks him out of the house."

"That's so not true." Mason replied.

Tim gave him a "are you stupid" look.

Mason took that as a hint and closed his mouth.

"There, now go to your room and don't bother to come back here again." Mason said to Tim and James as he handed them a plate and two forks.

"So you can have..." James winked and Tim laughed.

"You, you satans!" Mason said and the twins acted like they were screaming but they made sure to make no sounds and vanished towards their room.

"What was that about?" Evelyn asked smiling as she poured herself a glass of water.

"The usual. I like to mess with them, they like to mess with me." Mason shrugged. "Don't believe a word they say, okay? They only want to cause trouble."

"Oh, okay." Evelyn smiled being confused.

"Why are you here anyway?" Mason asked cutting a piece of cake.

"I just wanted to have a glass of water. Besides, I thought the house is being robbed." She rolled her eyes. "Turns out it's just the fridge the robber is interested about."

Mason gave her a guilty smile. "The cake's actually good. Try it out."

He handed her a fork. She took a small piece and put it inside her mouth. Then she closed her eyes.

"Madyline's cakes have that effect on people." Mason said as she opened her eyes back again.

She looked quite stoked.

"Trust me, when I say I have eaten enough baked goods in my life. I have eaten gold dusted cake in New York. I have been to the best bakery's in the city. My grandmother was a fantastic cook herself. I have eaten hers too. And God!" She shook her head.

"This," She pointed the fork to the cake, "This beats all of them. It's so light, so airy, so sweet yet at the same time there's the right hint of bitterness from the chocolate that balances it out. It's just so good."