10. Consequences

You and the captain are the last to leave Arlong Park because he wants to make sure that the rest of his subordinates get out safely.

Killer takes the truck and goes the other way, and Heat and Wire gather up the rest of the men and leave separately. You and Kid steal one of Arlong's cars, a fancy little shark shaped vehicle.

Of course, in the chaos the Skypiea Police arrive.

Police cars chase you in the car, but you drive out of Skypiea with the captain in the back. For some reason, his face looked pale.

"Captain, are you okay?" You ask.

"Fine." He mutters and rips his white lead hand out of his arm violently.

You gasp when you see little white patches along the human part of that arm. He looks like he is in pain.

He must have been poisoned too.

You swerve around trying to lose the cops that are chasing you. You know that you need to get him to Law as soon as possible. You debate for a moment if you should go through Jaya, the cops certainly won't follow you there, it is Doflamingo's territory after all. But if you are found by his men, your fate will be even worse.

You turn into the district anyway, and your pursuers stop. You wait for a few minutes before reaching the trees displaying the 'Welcome to Jaya' sign. After you are sure the cops are gone, you double back, not wanting to get deeper into Jaya.

You drive to Bonney's bar, to ditch the car, and she gives you hers. You tie your bandana tightly on Eustass Kid's upper arm to prevent the poison from spreading. Bonney feeds him some strong painkillers.

He seems to be barely conscious as he says, "Idiot, don't touch me. You'll be poisoned too."

"It's alright. I'm fine, Captain." You say.

He falls asleep from the pain medicine in the back of the car and you drive at breakneck speed until you get home.

Law quickly examines the damage before giving him multiple injections. Kid somehow stays asleep in all this.

"Come and get your shot. You touched him, didn't you?" Law says to you.

"There's no need." You say. "I'm immune."

Law looks surprised. "Really? You don't look like you've been sick from white lead disease before."

"Yeah, it's not acquired for me. I was born like this." You tell him. "The doctors said it's hereditary. I guess my father is immune too, because my mum wasn't."

"I see. You're lucky." Law tells you.

You suppose that's true to some degree. This immunity is the only gift you've ever received from your bastard of a father.

***

The others trickle in little by little the next day. When everyone is back, Eustass Kid finally wakes up to address them.

The haul from Arlong Park is huge, mounds upon mounds of cash were collected from the stronghold. On his captain's instructions, Killer distributes The money generously to everyone, leaving a lot to spare.

You get a large roll of cash yourself from Eustass Kid. The money is almost as much as you would have made in six months as a regular driver. You don't know how to feel about it, it is blood money after all.

Still, there are tickets to see a certain celebrity that you've been wanting to buy for a while, but they were always too expensive for you. With this money, you can buy the premium package.