8. Friends

You don't know if is a dream or not, but you are sure you hear raised voices from Kid and Killer in your room.

"...couldn't protect her!" Kid is saying.

"Me? I protected her. You're the one who sent her into a dangerous situation because you were being selfish, knowing that if it came to a fight there's no way I could beat Fire Fist!" Killer shouts at him.

"Selfish? This isn't about me not wanting to spend money on that weapon...it's about Hina isn't it?" Kid says.

Why are they so loud, you are trying to sleep?

"This wouldn't have happened if you'd prioritised your work instead of her." Killer says.

"Fuck you! Have you forgotten that she kept us from going to prison not just once-"

"How can I forget, it was my fault after all. I acknowledge that." Killer interrupts him. "Your problem is that you don't know what you want."

"Bullshit!" Kid curses.

"What do you want, Kid?"

"No. What do you want?" He retorts.

Killer doesn't say anything for a minute. "What I want doesn't matter. It never has. Don't pretend to care about my feelings now, not when it comes to Hina. I've made peace with it."

"I'm sorry." Kid mutters.

You shift in your bed, to block out the noise, not really processing the words.

"She's cold. I'll stay with her now. Have Trafalgar look at your wounds." You hear Kid say.

"You, are not sorry." Killer says and the door closes.

You bed creaks and you feel a certain warmth coming over you. You are able to embrace the warmth and, in the silence, to fall asleep.

When you wake up in the morning, you feel that warmth again, and you snuggle into it before you realise that it is a human body.

A shirtless male chest.

You scream.

You don't remember much of the previous night after you fell asleep in Heat's car.

"Shut up. I'm trying to sleep." He says pulling you closer with the human arm that is around you.

"C-c-captain?" You ask looking up at the face. He opens his eyes and looks down at you.

This close to his chest, there is no way that he can't feel your heart thundering through your chest. If he does, he doesn't comment on it. Thankfully.

"Expecting someone else?" He asks.

"What are you doing in my room?" You ask.

"Ask last night's you. You were shivering like crazy and when I tried to put a blanket over you, you clung to me." He says.

"That doesn't sound like me at all." You lie. It totally sounds like you.

"You know, you talk a lot in your sleep. Who is Miss Devon?" He asks.

You tense up. He feels it and looks at you in concern.

"Childhood trauma." You whisper.

"You have some of those too, huh?" He asks.

You can feel his heartbeat, steady. You want to synchronise it with yours, but your heart is too erratic being this close to him. You find it strange how you aren't even questioning the fact that you are lying with your face buried in his chest and his arm around you.