•• Chapter 2 ••

La, di, da. La. Di. Dah.

Lick and fold.

Again.

Lick and fold.

And again.

This was so boring and my wrists hurt like hell.

"Ah... Cheryl? You know can just complete the rest tomorrow, your shifts over, we're all going home," Adam, the young man who was Emmett's personal assistant, watches me from his desk as he lifts his suitcase.

"You said 1000 letters, if I finish them today, I can do something more fun tomorrow. Right, Adam?" I explain my plan, smiling warmly while shaking out my wrists, "I don't mind. I only have a hundred to go."

"Have you eaten anything?" Adam asks, walking around his desk, I shake my head.

"No, but it's okay, I want to finish my task. Am I allowed to stay overtime?"

"...yes, also... Emmett will be here. He can let you out," Adam heads to the office door, "Nice work ethic, Cheryl. Have a nice night," Adam is not overly friendly but not overly professional either. He waves, smiles and I nod and smile back.

I watch as one by one, Adam, then the rest of the executives leave on the dot, while I force on a wicked smile and ferociously murder the papers by slapping them in half, now that I'm alone, "Letters. Ha. You can do letters. Well. Mr. Randsom. I can't do letters anymore when all the letters are done and sent. Then, I can do something interesting. And useful. And insightful. And meaningful... what did you learn today? I learnt how to fold paper in thirds. Wow. So exciting -"

The phone rings as I'm mumbling to myself.

I get a shock from the loud noise and end up with a paper-cut on my middle finger. I suck on it and stare at Adam's desk, my heart thumping out of my chest.

I knew that dial tone. It wasn't a random caller. It was directly from Emmett's office. I had picked up on the difference during the day while listening into Adam's phone calls.

It keeps ringing.

Don't answer it. Just leave it.

I tell myself this a couple of times on repeat, as I get up and walk over, then pick up the phone and answer it.

I suck in breath, then I snap, "Adam's gone? Mr. Ransom? He's shift is done... duh," I lean over the counter, answering him without a single hello. I purse my lips, feeling really cheeky. Why was this so much fun, the prospect of irritating a shithead billionaire? 

I wait when there is long silence.

A long and awkward silence.

...then...heavy breathing?

And then Emmett hangs up.

"Um... whateves," I hang up my own phone and I stare at it, wondering if he'll call back. 

I hear a lone door open and close down the hall.

The shithead.

My hands start to sweat. 

But when I finally dare look up, and I do see Emmett right there, opening Adam's office door... I freak out, just a little bit.

Oh, shit, oh, crap, you crossed a line, Cheryl. Great.

I stand to attention, blushing straight away when my new boss enters with a totally infuriated look set in on his sharply cut features.

"Why are you still here?" Emmett asks, it seems to be a rhetorical question, like he doesn't care if I answer or not. As he stalks to Adam's desk, I just quickly tip toe around it and hurry back to my desk.