[ch.13] Getting Used To It

How could I break his heart?

How could he break my friends? Literally?

Maybe I'll actually like him.

The question lies; Do I let a a serial killer take a stab at my heart?

..In a..metaphorical sense....

The answer? We'll just have to see.

I looked to the side and fumbled with my hands, we were now entering an awkward silence in the conversation.

Without making eye contact, I asked him, "..so uh... how.. how do we 'go out' in this hell hole of a nightmare..?"

"Good question!" He said enthusiastically, and we both busted out laughing.

"But uh.. we could start by getting out of this mess.." He said guiltily while scratching the back of his head in shame.

"yeah.." I agreed. Then he put his hand on my shoulder and steered me the direction out.

"Careful.." He cautioned me as I slipped a little on the blood on the floor.

I caught myself from falling by holding onto his hoodie for dear life.

He nervously chuckled.

I did too.

Oh great, now I'm getting desensitized to the point where slipping on my friend's dead blood is funny.

We made it the rest of the way out. It's not so cold outside. I wiped the bottom of my bloodied shoe on the grass.

I looked back up at Frank.

"First task, done. Now what?" I asked.

He twiddled his fingers.

"Now..we..uh..", he stumbled about his words.

As he was thinking, we could hear the last generator be complete.

"Fuck", we said in unison.

"I should go find this little shit before they start the timer..",He said as he scratched the back of his head. He pulled his bloodied mask down once more.

I sighed and nodded okay.

"Sorry", was what he said last before venturing out into the darkness to find and murder one of my teammates.

I sat on a tree stump, my legs hanging over the side. I adjusted my beanie, it was falling off.

Was I willing?
If it came to that?
If it came to him wanting to touch me, wanting sexual relations? Sex?

I don't know.

Thinking about it made my face feel all hot. I rubbed my cheek with one hand, as if rubbing it would rub out the heat from it.

Who would..?
I shivered at the thought.

Who would take it?
I mean, he's taller than me and..in general bigger..

I started to slap my face.
Stop it. 

Stop.

Don't think about it.

Why don't you think about more serious matters?
Like why the HELL is a serial killer trying to date me???

And why am I going along with it?

If I kept questioning for any longer, I'd probably give myself a migraine.

Think of the positives.

He's nice.

He.. cares..

I slumped in my seat and propped my head up with my hands.

Oh Frank. 

You complicate me, bastard.

I guess I'll have to get used to that.

Suddenly, I heard the Exit gates power up.

What?

Did something bad happen to Frank? Is this on purpose? What's going on?

New questions burned inside my head.

The earth below me started to glow a mean, sickening red.

It started to shake.

My heart started to beat fast with fear. 

Just then I hear foot steps running towards my direction.

"SO UH-" He shouted.

I turned around  to see Frank, mask off, running full force.

" Maybe we should continue this another time??" He asked me in a hurry.

" Oh uh, yeah.." I said, wide eyed and confounded.

" You should go," he told me while catching his breath, " There's a gate open at the far back".

" Sorry uh.." I responded, I seem to apologize a lot more lately. After I said that, the ground shook again, and we heard the sound of a.. . bell? A really low and deep sounding one.

" It's not your fault", he touched my arm as he said this.

I gotta give him something before I go, I gotta uh...

I graciously took his hand touching my arm and brought to my lips. Even though it was caked in my team's blood, I kissed it. As I did this, my heart fluttered; and it wasn't just from the fear before.

But his hand felt sticky and... scratchy?

He stood there and just stared. He looked frozen and stiff.

Is that not what you wanted?

I hopped up and said my goodbyes, hearing him mumble his, and then I left.

I looked back, and he still stood there.

Running now, I was close. I could see the open gates.

The welcoming lights of safety.

Not that being with Frank before wasn't safe..

I could see a silhouette of someone inside of the open gates, waiting there.

Who was this? And how did they manage to outwit Frank?

I got closer, and the bell rung again, making me lose my footing. I stumbled onto the shaking ground.

I was picked up by my arms.

He grunted as he did so.

He dragged me along into the gates.

I looked up to see who it was.

"Bill!" I shouted in surprise.

"Ain't leavin' ya behind", he acknowledged.

As soon as he said that, behind us we could hear what we assumed to be the final bell ring and the ground all over shot up spikes of spider-like legs.

We both breathed out a sigh of "Oh fuck that was close" and relief.

We made it out of this realm. Out of this fucked up place. 

But away from Frank..

We started running into a dull brown open field. 

Running until we faded away.

Back to the campsite.