Chapter 9

The students were thrilled to see Tracy, and she them. It soon became clear that Max hadn't heard of her before.

"I didn't know you had a wife, Mr. Anderson." The entire class went silent, looking over at him in disbelief.

The girl next to him sighed deeply. "He's gay, Max."

"What?" Max asked, looking surprised and confused.

"Yeah, seriously, how didn't you know that?"

"He doesn't exactly hide it."

"It's pretty obvious, Max."

"Well, he has a daughter who clearly isn't adopted!" Max defended himself.

Tracy stuck her tongue out at him. "Daddy was trans."

Max looked completely lost. "He was what?"

"God, Dave really kept you clueless, didn't he?" Kurt mumbled. Max heard him, though.

"I'm not clueless! He told me plenty of things, like– like what actually happened between you and him!"

He wouldn't. The color drained out of Kurt's face. But he's just the sick, twisted person who would.

He couldn't do it.

He couldn't stand in front of them.

If he told Max, who else would he tell?

"Excuse me," he mumbled, mostly to William, rushing out of the room.

He pressed a fist to his mouth, stomach churning. He tried to hold it together, like he had last time Max talked to him, but he lost it the minute he reached the bathroom.