Chapter 6 (Edited)

I knocked on the office door, a few minutes later I leaned my head against it, with a quiet sigh and closed my eyes. Funny, I didn't think that I would be falling asleep standing up, but then again... I guess I can, since I didn't get that many hours of sleep in last night.

The door opened and I caught myself before I fell, as I was jolted awake.

"I'm sorry, Ember. I didn't know that you were leaning against it, half asleep," a male voice said, partially teasingly through my foggy brain.

I took a sip of my coffee and looked at Jack, who was grinning at me. "Can you please call me Em, or you can follow my father's footsteps and call me Embie or Emmie," I said. "And for the billionth time, please don't call me Ember."

"I can call you what I want to, Ember," Jack said. "Ember is your name, so I'll call you Ember. It's like the reason why I call my daughter Callie, and her friend, Malcom."

"Alright, enough with the sweet talk. Can we get down to business, please?" another male voice asked. There was a scowl in his face.

I grinned and walked into his office. "At least I'm not the only one that's feeling pooped," I said, sitting down in a chair in front of my father's desk, while he rubbed his forehead. I placed my feet on his desk and leaned back in the chair, getting comfortable.

"Yes, and I have this deep headache that's not going away," he replied. "And feet off the desk, before I stick glue onto the desk and make you put your feet on that."

"But I could always take my boots off, then I would be able to get free." I placed my feet down on the floor, glad that I got him to smile and shake his head. "And, I do have your reasoning."

"I know," he replied. He leaned back in his chair and looked at me. "What I need is to have you a little less like me."

I snorted. "And I'll be dead by the time that happens," I said, teasingly. I let my smile turn into a frown. "Now, what do you need to discuss with me?" I asked, as always the one that gets things started, even if it is sometimes.

"Do you care to play a game of chess?" he asked, cocking his head.

I grimaced and shook my head. I wasn't in the mood with chess, and sadly, I might fall asleep on the board. Which, in my father's case, would make him win. However, I don't know if he was as tired as me or not.

Dad nodded his head. "All right," he said. "We can discuss it like this." He gestured to Jack for him to bring him something. "I know that you might be having your own ways of doing things with Judah, but I have some tools for you."

I moved forward in my seat, wanting to know what Dad had gotten for me. I had always loved new playthings. Once, my dad had gotten me a whip for one of my birthdays and told me to learn how to use it, without hurting myself.

Well, long story short, it took me a while, but I can finally say that I don't hurt myself with the whip anymore. I could do a lot of stupid stuff with it, which I will not mention in this story, so sorry.

"What is it?" I asked, taking the box that he handed me. I opened the box and frowned when I saw that it was just a black watch. "Ummm... I don't need to know the time by a watch," I said, holding it up by the strap. "Fancy, but not my thing." I looked up to see Jack and my father laughing. "What did I say that was so funny?" I asked, confused.

"It's your face that we're laughing at, Em," Dad said. "Such disappointment that it wasn't like nunchucks or something."

I shrugged my shoulder. "I do need a new pair," I replied. "'Sides what good will this do?" I lifted the watch up, frowning.

"It's one of those spy watches. You can record any conversation that you want to, or you could use the laser pointer that's on it." He handed me a smaller package. "Also, this is how you can speak to me."

"Well, that's kind of better than nunchucks," I muttered, taking the other package. I smirked to see that it was one of the small ear-pieces, that people couldn't see. "Well, this is good, but I got something to tell you, Dad." I looked up at him, serious.

He leaned back in his seat, raising an eyebrow. "And what would that be?"

"I'll do what I want when I want. Remember, I can't have any help from any others, and I need Judah to get his trust in me. So I'll take it my pace and my way. There will be no ands, buts, or ors, Comprendé?"

"And I wouldn't have it any other way."

I smirked and I set the ear-piece into my ear before I strapped the watch onto my wrist. "Well, since that is settled, I guess I have to start gaining his trust and getting ready for whatever he has planned for my mother."

My dad nodded and stood, with me standing up, also. "Good luck," he said. He walked over to where I was at and pulled me into a hug.

I stiffened, surprise that he was actually hugging me. "Don't worry, Dad. I got it," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. "I'm a big girl now."

"Even if you're not in Pull Ups," he replied, his voice cracking.

I pulled away first and smiled at him. "Well, I got to go," I said. I looked at Jack. "Do you think you can get Judah to meet me at my office in five minutes?"

Jack nodded his head as Dad let me go. "Of course, Lil' Alpha," he said, grinning while I glared at him.

"Good luck," Dad said, as Jack opened the door.

I nodded my head. "I'll need it," I said, before I walked out of the room. I started to walk to my house and office, not knowing what I was going to do. I bit my lip and felt a small sense of vibration that I usually felt when a battle or something like that was about to happen.

Hopefully, I can keep the fighting down to a minimum. Ha! As if...