Stay The Night

"Oh you two! You're soaking wet what is the meaning of this!?" Marilla pulled at her hair with worry as she swiftly scooted the drenched bodies inside.

"Well... ma'am you see-" Gilbert was cut off.

"All I see are two poor souls wet and soppy, leaving puddles on my floor! Hurry upstairs and change into some dry clothes, Anne please shower and grab Gilbert a pair of clothes from Mathews closet." Marillas voice was stern and rushing.

Gilbert and Anne nodded their heads in an instant, hurrying up the stairs to avoid the motherly wrath as quickly as they could.

"My closet...?" Mathew muttered, flicking his eyes up from the news paper to Marilla.

"Just get back to your reading." Marilla scoffed as she strutted a way, grabbing a towel to wipe off the muddy foot prints that lied against the floor.

"Your hair...it's nice." Gilbert instantly regretted his words, his eyebrows curling with embarrassment.

"Hm?" Anne said as she grabbed two clean towels.

"Your hair looks nice...you know when it's wet." Gilbert said awkwardly.

Anne turned around, her wide eyes looking into his as they shimmered in deep thought.

Gilbert's thoughts were cut off by a chirpy voice.

"Yours too, it looks nice." She smiled as she ruffled her hands through his rain scented curls.

"Here, you can take a shower in the guest bathroom around the hall, i'll be taking one in mine alright? Let me grab you a new pair of clothes." Anne said calmly as she handed him his towel, making her way out to Mathews room.

"A-are you sure it's alright?" Gilbert wanted reassurance.

"Yes of course, your company is not only welcome, but wanted." She smiled as she disappeared into the other room.

"Hah." Gilbert smirked to himself.

Before Anne could hop into the shower she was halted by Marilla.

"You let that boy take you out there knowing well enough you had a cold?" She hissed.

"I'm sorry Marilla, it's just that-I don't want to keep making the same mistakes, running away, and avoiding the only boy who devoted years of admiration towards me whilst never growing tired of it. A cold is worth having him." Anne spoke genuinely.

"Well...Yes i see. But next time you put yourself first, he can be the one getting a cold then, understood?" Marilla eyed Anne.

"Yes, understood." Anne smiled lightly.

"Now take a shower, you reek of rain." Marilla covered her nose as she exited the bathroom.

*sniff* "She's not wrong." Anne added.

"Was it warm enough-"

"What are you doing!?" Anne covered her hand with her mouth, turning away in a flash.

"What?" Gilbert questioned.

"Your shirt? Where's your shirt? You just a usually have your shirt off and expect it not to catch me by surprise?" Anne blabbed out.

"Haha, sorry sorry, but you could've knocked first." Gilbert chuckled as he slipped on a black t-shirt.

"You seriously are so-" Anne's face was a rosey red.

"So what?" Gilbert said as he slowly approached her from behind.

"Just don't come closer okay..." Anne sighed as she placed a hand over her eye.

"Why not?" Gilbert whispered as he spun her around by the shoulder.

"Too close!" Anne shouted in embarrassment.

"You speak as though we haven't kissed before, Anne." Gilbert said gently as his lips curved to the right, imprinting a playful smile on his face.

"Yes but!? I don't think i'll ever get used to it...no i'll never get used to it. It's too much your face it's-"

"Hahahha!" Gilbert chuckled to himself.

"My flustering is internal, whereas you communicate your nerves. Do you not realize? I feel the same as well." Gilbert said as he caressed her chin.

"Oh I highly doubt that." Anne replied as Gilbert leaned in further, not pushing him away.

"Gilbert! Anne! It's getting quite late, Gilbert why don't you spend the night?" Marilla shouted from downstairs.

Gilbert and Anne locked themselves in a gaze.

"In a separate room far away from Anne!" Marilla added.

They both raised and eyebrow then laughed in sync.

"Well..."

Gilbert leaned in, placing a quick peck against Anne's lips.

"Have a nice rest, i'll see you in the morning." He winked before heading out of the room.

Anne nodded her head as she watched him disappear through the doorway, but a shadow seemed to be glued to the side of it.

"What is that?" Anne squinted her eyes as she watch Marilla pop into the room.

"Ahh! My goodness Marilla!" Anne was startled.

"No funny business." Marilla pointed her finger, snapping towards Matthew who attempted to quietly sneak away to his room, yet failed in the process.

"No funny business yes um, stay in your room a-and um get a good nights sleep." Matthew nodded his head, speeding to his room right after.

"He looks tormented." Anne snickered.

"Oh please." Marilla rolled her eyes, shutting Anne's door behind her.