Chapter 34 ~ Fleeting

Start from the beginning

Shadow killed both of them.

No matter how many bullets Shadow dodged, Infinite kept firing more. I've never seen him show this much emotion... distress.

Infinite starts to control the shells, making them move around and hit Shadow when he doesn't see. They whirl around to hit him in the back, side, front, all around. Shadow can barely keep up, and is starting to take hits from them.

"Ryder had a broken jaw, and was struck so hard that his bandages came off." Shadow lets out a growl when a gunshot hits him in the back, forcing him forward. "Diego suffered from multiple broken ribs, a bruised back and neck. You killed Chevron with Diego's sword after pulling out half her hair from her scalp and breaking her ankles."

I shiver with the horror of these visuals. The thought that I had met these people, fought these people, and Shadow had ended their short lives. I almost denied what Infinite was rambling on about, but then I remember the vision I had in the virtual reality world. Shadow had threatened me – pre-Infinite, that's who those leather gloves belonged to.

Was Shadow a monster? Am I a monster for sharing his genetics?

"And Shroud..." Infinite starts, taking a deep breath, the canons firing less frequently. Shadow took this chance and charged at him, punching the jackal in the stomach. Infinite grunted, warping away.

Shadow looked to him, charging again, but Infinite kept teleporting out of reach. The jackal occasionally threw cubes at Shadow, but the hedgehog flipped out of the way each time, slowing him down.

"...The entire right side of his face was black!" Infinite sweeps a foot under Shadow's feet as he charged before teleporting away again. "His leg was sliced open, he had a bone sticking out of his forearm, and had bruises on his neck!"

Infinite starts glitching, he clutches his head. This left Shadow with an open opportunity. He kicked Infinite in the side, quickly grabbing onto his arm to hurl the jackal to the ground.

Infinite got up. "You did all this... and yet, you couldn't even remember who I was when you nearly killed me moments later?!" He was yelling in

Infinite's pupils were battling between white and black again. Shadow stands still and glares at him.

"If this is all about me, then why kill all these civilians?! Why start a war?!" Shadow demands, voice raised and not the usual low whisper it is.

Shadow moves towards Infinite so fast, it was a blur. He held the jackal by the collar fur, glaring into his eyes. "Answer for yourself!" Shadow yells, pulling Infinite closer.

Infinite was silent for a moment. The aura of power from Shadow was reflecting against his mask. "I... I—" he stops, eye widening, pupil glowing white. The actual white of his eye turned a strange colour, it was indecipherable with the red tint from the glass of Infinite's mask. It changed to a dark magenta. He glitched slightly. Shadow stares, eyes widening slightly.

Infinite stares blankly. "I will cleanse this world by all costs. Others' pain is of no consequence to me." His voice was dull, flat. Deprived of emotion unlike it was moments ago.

Infinite's hand generates a green sword that was bent in a strange pattern that reminded me of the slither of a snake.

Infinite digs the blade into Shadow's side. Shadow cries out in pain, the world goes numb and my heart pounds. People yelled his name, but I didn't process any of the words.