The Date

Tina stared at herself in the mirror, frowning at her reflection. She was wearing a green dress that came down just past her knees. Thankfully, her back and shoulders were covered, though her arms were bare. However, what had made her frown was her face. Despite the fact that Queenie had done her makeup, she still looked exhausted.

"Teen, you look fine," her sister assured her. Tina just winced so she went on. "There's nothing to worry about. It's just a date."

"Yeah, but the last date was a disaster. He showed up late, didn't even apologize, and left the restaurant drunk. I don't even know where he got the alcohol."

"He said it was a bad day."

Tina gave her sister an incredulous look. "I thought you didn't approve of this relationship."

Queenie shrugged. "I don't but it's your life and I've given up trying to reason with you."

Tina sighed. "Do I really have to go?"

"You said you would."

"I know but he--"

"Be the better person," Queenie said gently.

Tina groaned and left the room. She quickly pulled on a black felt coat, slowly doing up the buttons. Then she gave her sister a hug and left the apartment. Having slipped into an alley and Disapparated.

As she walked through the streets of New York, she flipped her collar up to protect her neck from the wind. A few minutes later she was entering the restaurant and requesting a table for two.

She pulled off her coat, draping it over the back of her chair, and took a seat. A young waiter approached her and handed her a menu.

"Are you waiting for someone?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"Well, would you like something as you wait?" the man asked.

"Just some water."

He nodded and moved off. A few minutes later he returned with a glass of water. Tina sipped it slowly, preparing to wait for her boyfriend. The minutes dragged on . . .

And still no sign of him.

Queenie was busy mending a dress when she heard a knock on the door. She started staring at the door in surprise. Then her gaze darkened.

If that idiot has come here for Tina when he knows she'll be waiting for him at the restaurant . . .

She gripped her wand tighter and moved towards the door. Turning the knob, she wrenched the door open and pointed her wand at the person on the other side. But it wasn't who she expected. It was the last person she had expected.

"Newt!" she exclaimed, her arm dropping to her side and her wand slipping from her fingers.

Newt's eyes moved from the wand to her face. He offered her an embarrassed smile.

"Hello."

Next thing he knew, she had stepped forward and slapped him across the face. He staggered backward, staring at her in shock.

"What in Merlin's name was that for?" he demanded.

Queenie didn't respond. Instead, she snatched her wand off the ground, grabbed him by the arm, and dragged him into the apartment, slamming the door shut behind them. Then she rounded on him.

"You've got a lot of nerve showing up after what you did," she snapped.

Newt stared at her. "What did I do?"