Nightmares

Newt watched as Tina scrambled to her feet. She stood on the metal chair as the grey potion slowly rose around her. "Mr. Scamander!" she called frantically.

Newt glanced around the room. "Now, don't panic," he said.

Tina stared at him. "What do you suggest I do instead?" she snapped.

Newt wasn't sure what to do. All he knew was that the had to rescue Tina. His eyes fell on his Swooping Evil and he had a plan. The creature was flying around Tina's head, but a sharp whistle from Newt caused it to change direction. It was now flying in front of Tina on every pass. "Jump," Newt commanded.

Tina glanced at the swooping creature. "Are you crazy?"

"Jump on him," Newt said, watching as the creature flew around Tina's head. He looked back at her. "Tina, listen to me. I'll catch you. . . . Tina . . ."

Tina looked down at the chair she stood on, shifting her feet from the hole burning through the seat. Newt waited till she looked up. "I'll catch you," he insisted. "I've got you, Tina." He waited till the Swooping evil was about to fly in front of her. "Go!"

Tina jumped, but Newt's timing had been off. Tina's foot didn't land in the middle of the creature's back as it should have. It was too far back and it slipped off. Tina sank into the potion below.

Newt woke with a start. He looked around the room, trying to remember where he was.

Tina's apartment.

Newt checked the time. It was two in the morning. He decided to get a glass of water. Climbing out of bed, Newt noticed light coming from under the door. He pushed it opened. The table was covered in papers. Tina sat with her back to Newt's door, her head bent over a book. She turned slightly and began to write. Newt quietly got a glass of water and sat across from Tina. She looked up.

"Hello, Newt," she murmured. She reached for the mug that sat among the papers and took a sip. "What are you doing here?"

Newt shrugged. "I couldn't sleep. When did you get home?"

"Just after eleven."

"You need to go to bed."

Tina shook her head. "I have to get this done."

Newt reached across the table and took Tina's quill out of her hand. "No, you don't. You need to sleep. You can finish this in the morning." Newt waved his wand and the papers arranged themselves in a neat stack.

"Fine," Tina said. "I'll go to bed, but I want some cocoa first. Would you like some?"

"Alright, as long as you go to bed afterward."

As Tina began making cocoa, Newt finished his water and set his glass in the sink before sinking into the couch. Tina sat beside him a few minutes later, holding two steaming mugs. She handed one to Newt who sipped it gratefully.

"So," Tina said. "Why couldn't you sleep?"

Newt stared into his cup. "It's nothing," he lied.

"Really?" Tina asked, clearly not believing him.

"It was just a dream," he said.

"Bad?"

Newt nodded slowly. He didn't really want to admit it, but he knew Tina would bother him till he told her.

"Do you want to tell me about it?"

"It -- it was . . ." New swallowed. "It was about last December -- about what happened in that execution chamber. Everything was the same, only . . . " Newt trailed off.

Tina rested her and on Newt's shoulder. "Only what?"

"You slipped. You fell into the potion. . . . You died."

There was a long pause until Tina broke the silence. "Listen, Newt," she said firmly. "No, look at me, Newt."

Newt looked at Tina through his hair. She brushed his hair out of his eyes.

"Newt, it was just a dream. I didn't slip, I didn't die. I'm right here. You saved me."

Tina pulled Newt into a hug. "Everything's okay. It was just a dream."

For the next few minutes, they sat together and drank their cocoa in silence. When Tina was done, she curled up against Newt and fell asleep.

Newt smiled. He knew he should wake her up, but she looked so peaceful and contented. It was also oddly comforting, having her so close.

What will Queenie think when she finds us here? he thought before drifting into a peaceful, dreamless sleep.

A/N: This was a slightly shorter one, but the next story should be longer. It might even have several parts. I'll see.

Anyway, if you liked this, please vote, comment, and suggest ideas for future stories.