Redeemed Part 2

Queenie slowly approached her sister's cell, pulling the cloak tighter around her. It was three days since they had first spoken properly. She had visited her sister every day since then. As she reached the bars, she could see the older woman huddled in a corner.

Tina wasn't using Occlumency but Queenie made an effort not to read her mind. However, she couldn't block out the feelings.

The main feeling was of hunger. Queenie knew that this was because, though she was fed in both the morning and evening, she was given very little food and what food she was given was hardly worth eating. Queenie resolved to bring something the next time she came down.

The second strongest feeling was one of worry. Queenie wondered what was making her so worried. She knew it would be easy enough to find out but she respected her sister enough not to read her mind when she didn't even know she was there. Instead, she studied the dark-haired woman.

Tina sat in a corner, her back resting against the back wall and her shoulder leaning against the side wall. She was staring down at her lap, her fingers fidgeting with the fabric at the front of her blouse.

Deciding that it was best to reveal herself before she accidentally saw something her sister didn't want her seeing, Queenie quickly pulled off the cloak.

"Hey, Tina," she called.

Tina started, jumping to her feet and pressing her back to the wall.

"Merlin's beard, Queenie!" she exclaimed. "Don't do that to me!"

"Sorry," the younger woman giggled.

Tina scowled, quickly closing off her mind. "How did you even do that?" she demanded. "You weren't there a minute ago."

Queenie held up the fabric in her hand.

"Invisibility cloak," she explained. "I found it while cleaning out a room yesterday. It's not the best but it works well enough."

Tina crossed her arms and stepped towards the bars. "Why do you even need an invisibility cloak?"

"I thought it would be a good idea. I'm not really supposed to be down here. They don't want me near you. They think I'll get 'ideas'."

A small, sad smile formed on Tina's lips. If only she would get ideas.

The two sisters sat on the floor by the bars and began talking. After that one conversation, they had come to the unspoken agreement that they wouldn't discuss Queenie's decision again.

The next day, Queenie came down to the cell with a small bag. She handed it through the bars to Tina who eyed her suspiciously.

"Just open it," she urged.

Tina opened the bag and peeked inside. Her eyes lit up.

"Food," she breathed. 

Queenie giggled. "Yeah. I usually cook for myself so it's easy enough to just make something for you as well. I can't let them starve my sister."

Tina grinned. Dropping to the floor by the bars, she began to eat. Queenie knelt across from her and waited for her to finish. When she was done, she handed the bag back through the bars and leaned against the wall. Her hands moved to rest over her stomach, her fingers toying with her dirty blouse.

Queenie watched the gesture with a thoughtful expression on her face. A few stray thoughts from the day before had made her suspect she knew what it meant.

"Does he know?" she asked.

Tina looked startled. "What?"

"Does Newt know?" Queenie repeated, gesturing to Tina's midsection.