Chasing Grindelwald Part 1

Tina shoved a few things in a bag as quickly as she could. Remembering that she hadn't been able to find her official MACUSA ID, she began moving things around her desk in a desperate attempt to find it. Shoving aside a stack of papers, she revealed a battered blue book. She picked it up and found her ID underneath it. She began to set the book down but she changed her mind and slipped it into her bag instead. Picking up her ID, she put it in her pocket before casting a spell, shrinking her bag until it was small enough to fit in her pocket.

The door to her room slid open.

"Tina, what's going on? Everything was normal when you left then you're back here ten minutes later looking like you're about to panic."

Tina turned to face Newt. "It's Grindelwald," she explained quickly. "He escaped last night. He killed Porter and Matthews. We've received reports of possible sightings in multiple states across the country. We've sent someone to England by portkey to try and get some help."

Newt was frowning. "You're not going after him, are you?"

Tina stared at Newt, a shocked expression on her face. "Of course we're going after him. We need to catch him before too many people die."

"I know that," Newt said. He slipped his arms around Tina's waist and pulled her close. "I meant you specifically. I don't want you to go. I don't want anything to happen to you."

Reaching up, Tina ran her thumb along his cheek. "Nothing's going to happen to me," she assured him. "I promise, but I do have to go after him. I don't know how long I'll be gone."

Their lips met in a gentle kiss. A few moments later, Newt pulled back just enough to murmur, "Stay safe."

"I will," she replied, pressing a kiss to his lips. 

"I love you," Newt breathed.

Turning away, Tina opened the jewelry box her sister had given her before she left, pulled out the only ring in the box, and slid it on her finger. She turned back to Newt. "I love you, too," she replied. She gave him one final kiss before Disapparating.

Tina appeared inside the entrance of MACUSA, right in the middle of chaos. People were running back and forth; alarms were sounding from all directions. She started running towards the elevators but was stopped by one of her Aurors.

"Goldstein! The British Ministry has sent some of their Aurors to help. The Head of their Department wants to talk to you," he panted.

"Where is he?"

"I assume he's with his Aurors."

"Okay. Thank you, Thompson," Tina said. "I'll be in my office. Send him up when you find him."

"I'll bring him up right away, ma'am," he said before running off.

Tina ran to the elevator. When the doors opened, she dashed inside and blurted, "Major Investigation Department." The doors closed and they sped downwards.

Tina had always prided herself in her ability to remain calm during stressful situations. However, this was a level of stress she had never experienced before. She had only been the Director of Magical Security for a couple of months and the magical community had been relatively peaceful during that time. Nothing really major had happened . . . until now. And not only had something happened, but it was also the worst thing that could have happened. Grindelwald had escaped.

She knew the stress was getting to her. As they made the descent to her office, she found herself unable to remember the name of the Head of the Auror Office in Britain. She knew she should know the names of the Head Aurors from different countries; especially the Head Auror of the Ministry of Magic which was arguably the most influential magical government in the world. She also had the feeling that there was another reason she should remember the name, one that had nothing to do with her job, but she couldn't figure out what it was.