ON INTIMACY

I have been forgiven

for feeding whole grapes

to the little Emperor

Baby beaks come to the garden, with soft downy feathers, and exhausted parents. Blackbirds introduce their young on the first day out. They hop the babies up the path and nod at the fledgling and at me. I have to nod back to accept the job.

First-day blackbird babies sit nest-shaped, tails still up behind them, beaks too big for little heads sinking into tired shoulders. They watch the sky, and drift off. Sun warms. Eyes close. They sit where they are put, in full view of parents, and of crows. That's why I have to watch them.

Second week babies do not stay where they are put, which is why I have to watch them. They play with dock leaves and get gluey beaks from slugs, which they fling through the air in frustration. Their parents still feed them.

None of them can swallow a grape.

Daddy bird put a fledgling in profile, squawking and wide-mouthed. With perfect timing, he posted a grape in the beak. He looked at me, and we watched it bounce back out again! Half a grape bounced back too and the squawking continued, with little wing flutters. We experimented until I learned that half of a quarter of a peeled grape could be gulped down, and won us seconds of silence.

Baby is growing. He showed me how to catch a worm last week. He melodramatically listened under a dock leaf, pecked and brought it squiggling to me, leaving it at a favoured stone by my feet. 

I love him.

*******************************************************

Copyright info Images: grapes, File: Muscat d'Alexandrie.   Viala et Vermorel.jpg. Public domain, found on wikipedia. Dialog-warning.svg You must also include a United States public domain tag to indicate why this work is in the public domain in the United States. ...(we can't do tags here, but you know you can check). "This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights."

Dock leaf -  Wikipedia page https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rumex-obtusifolius-foliage.JPG. By -  Sten Porse : Creative Commons. GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

July 10, 2019