19| My Family's Burdens

"Dene!"

"Dene!"

I unconsciously frowned at the noise that pierced through the thick haze enveloping me. The hell is that? Rolling over, I tried to ignore it.

"Deden!"

I was ripped into consciousness by a jolt of electricity. With a shout, I bolted up into a sitting position. Everything was a mash of indistinct colors, and my mind spun with activity. But it only lasted for a moment as the haze returned to slow and clog things. It took me a solid minute to figure out where I was, or that I was even awake. Was it a minute? I had no idea...

An orangish blob atop where I thought my knee was caught my attention, and I tried to focus on it. "Dew..?" I muttered hazily. My vision finally started to clear, and I could see that she was glaring at me. She did so for a bit longer as her whiskers continued to spark. But she didn't shock me again.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, it seemed like the Sleep Powder I'd gotten from Ina had worked, and much too well. My dreams had returned to mush, and the few scraps I could recall were too disoriented to really make out. Still, I found this to be more than a decent price for an uninterrupted night of sleep. I'd definitely have to get more.

After waking up fully, I found Guella and everyone else in the kitchen again. They were already being dismissed, so I had to awkwardly shuffle past Rudra as his frame took up most of the hall. He actually made an effort to avoid me, which I found strange but relieving.

   "I'll see if we have any stored up here," Guella said to the woman in charge of the hot spring, who nodded before leaving. She then turned to the remaining two.

   "Uh, mornin'," I offered hesitantly.

   "Good morning, Lotario," Guella said, smiling.

   Ina jumped in, smiling even wider than my grandmother. "I like your scarf," she chirped. "It looks good on you!"

   "Oh, thanks," I said as Ina nodded cheerfully. I stepped back, letting Guella know I didn't mean to interrupt and to keep talking.

"One last thing. I'm going out for a bit today, so let me know if Kamal stops by," Guella said. "He isn't supposed to come here for another day or two, but you know how sporadic he is."

   "Monthly checkup?" Ina asked, and Guella nodded.

Confusion struck me "Who's Kamal?" I asked before I could stop myself.

   "He's kinda like the owner of this place," Ina said before the dark-haired staff member beside her elbowed her.

   "That ain't true," he hissed.

   Guella shook her head. "But it is, honestly." After giving me a glance she turned back to her remaining staff. "Anyways, keep an eye out as usual." A duet of "yes" and "yep" sounded before the kitchen cleared.