11| When I Remembered Him

I couldn't have been more wrong

Nearly a week passed. Over and over, night after night. It was the same thing, that same nightmare. After that second day I stopped talking about it, thinking it would go away on its own. Still, it continued to plague me.

Yet again in the sunless-hours of the morning I awoke, feeling sick with my head aching like it always did. Stifling a groan, I laid my forearm over my eyes and took a deep breath. At least you're awake now. You're awake, I told myself. That was all I could think of to keep me from falling into negativity.

But honestly, what the hell was wrong with me? I'd never dealt with anything like this before. Well, I'd had nightmares, but not this frequently and not a recurring one.

I took another deep breath. I just wanted to go back to sleep, though I was sure that wouldn't be possible at the moment. Then my skin prickled with a familiar feeling of being watched, and I sighed. I had an audience.

"You don't need to stay quiet, Cyryl. I know you're awake," I said tiredly as I moved my arm away. "You too, Dew." Dew sheepishly crawled up the bed to the headboard while Cyryl spoke up in a quiet, nervous voice.

"Um, well, I saw you tossing about." I heard their sheets rustle as they got up. "I wanted to wake you, but I-I didn't want to frighten you any more by touching you."

I sat up, looking over at them. "You probably would've done that, so I'm glad you didn't." In the moonlight, their hair had turned as silver as their eyes, giving them an ethereal quality. Several times I'd thought they would've made a great Fairy magician, and that was definitely the case at the moment. Weird, what thoughts came to me in the middle of the night.

Not wanting Cyryl to just stand there, I quickly tilted my head to the side, a gesture to show I was fine with them sitting down. Smiling faintly, they climbed onto the bed, sitting at its foot cross-legged and facing me.

"I'm really worried about you, Loto. I'm really, really worried," they said, winding a strand of hair around one of their fingers. "You wear your emotions on your sleeve, so it's been easy to see how much this has been bothering you."

"I hate how that's the case," I sighed. "But yeah, it has been bothering me." I rested my head in my hands. "I just hate how damn scared it makes me. Doesn't help that it gives me a headache too." I massaged my left temple, wincing.

"Why does it frighten you so much?" Cyryl asked.

I sighed, dropping my hand to the sheets. "I don't know!"