Chapter III

Anamika checked her appearance in the mirror for the last time.

She was wearing what most students in Indian schools wore. White kurta-salwar paired with a blue coatie, and school monogram on its left, right on top of the heart. Her brown locks were in two neat plaits.

She was all set to leave for her new school. She had very carefully avoided any intrusive questions of her friends and Advay regarding her school.

They were all buzzing around her like bees, trying to find out which school she has chosen but she answered all of them slyly. Never letting out the information they were searching for.

But she wasn't an idiot. She knew that someone with brains like Naina might've already figured it out.

But it was okay. Because she knew Naina would never rat her out and Saanvi and Iqra will never use their brains.

So, it was alright.

SVM was an average school. But its branches were all over the India. Dehradun had a long list of prestigious schools. But the fact that her family can't afford the high fees and that she's not a single child curbed her thoughts of ever applying for it.

Besides she didn't like the snobbish attitude of their students. How she knew? Well because she had the misfortune of coming across one when she participated in a Dance competition.

And the simpler reason was, she just can't be without her friends.

"Anamika hurry up or you're going to be late on your very first day of the school." Her maa yelled from downstairs.

And with a final look she descended downstairs in the dining room where everyone, excluding her father who had returned to Varanasi yesterday evening, was having breakfast and she quickly stuffed her mouth with a sandwich.

"Hurry up Anu! How long do you think it takes to get ready?" Shivangi stated exasperatedly. And everyone on the table looked at her.

"What? Don't look at me like that I only take an hour to get ready." She said and all of them chortled.

"Maa I'm going now. Take care. Bye!" Anamika said waving at all of them and taking her backpack quickly left the dining room.

"Don't rush and drive your bicycle carefully girl." Grandma yelled from the inside to which Anamika yelled back a 'Yes'.

Anamika looked at Advay's house and when she saw his bicycle on the stand, she swiftly mounted her own bicycle and drove off.

It would take her approximately 10 to 15 minutes to reach her new school. And when her friends and Advay would see her in the school. It would be one hell of a shock.

She just couldn't wait to see their expressions. Well.....apart from Naina and maybe......Eklavya.

****************************************************************

The school hall that was almost barren when Anamika had arrived now thrived with the liveliness of the students.

Almost all of the students had arrived and it was only in a few minutes that the assembly will start. Anamika had carefully shrouded herself with a bunch of students she had befriended earlier and then they were all asked to be seated.

The principal along with the teachers arrived and all the students stood up.

"Hey! I'm Hrithvik Vaghela. Who're you?" A boy beside her who also was several inches taller than her, whispered in her ears.

Anamika just gave him a look as if he was an alien. How can he talk when the assembly was going on? She shrugged him off and concentrated on the principal's speech.