Chapter XXXVI

Anamika tried to keep her mind present in the class as she listened to her teachers. If a person were to see and observe her, she would've appeared normal on the front. But only she knew what a terrifying tempest was slowly whirling inside her heart.

Her mixed emotions rendered her perplexed and in a volatile state of mood. She was overthinking, she was pondering over useless thoughts and giving room to self-doubt.

What was she exactly feeling? She knew not.

All she knew was she was angry, hurt, guilty, and a minuscule joyous on the inside. But it was all a mess, like a pandemonium, it was all vague and blurred and she couldn't see clearly in front of her eyes.

She had replied cordially to all the inquires about her accident and her health. And kept herself from exploding at the intrusive questions regarding... him.

'Why were people so nosy?' She sometimes wondered. 'Why are they so eager to sniff around my life when I don't even poke my nose in theirs'!

She was grateful to Iqra, it was because of her that she was easily able to catch up with the other students now. Calling out to her friend, Anamika returned her notebook from which she'd successfully copied last day's work.

Soon their English teacher came into the class and they again opened their textbooks. Anamika swears she heard Saanvi, who was sitting just behind her, groan in complaint as she muttered, "And here he comes again, can't he just take a day off!"

Anamika's lips parted in a faint smile, providing a momentary respite from the mayhem her inner self was busy creating.

Why was she so edgy? Why was she so stupidly hurt? She pondered over and over relentlessly but the niggling feeling refused to budge and leave her alone. It was so... so frustratingly and gallingly incredulous.

Soon the day got over with her smiling and nodding her head from time to time listening to the usual banter of her friends and pretending to be alright just so nobody could even ask what was churning inside her mind.

And with her not seeing him the whole day.

Slowly walking towards the parking that was situated just the entrance at the premises of their school, Anamika walked between Iqra and Naina, with Saanvi leading the pack.

"I'm going out of station for two days for a wedding," Iqra said, a little dully if she may add.

"For your maternal cousin's wedding if my guess is anything to go by?!" Naina asked comprehensively.

"You guessed it right," Iqra spoke,

"Then why do you sound so dull. Girl! A wedding means fun, food, and photos!" Saanvi exclaimed incredulously, wondering how in the hell's name someone could sound so dull about weddings.

That too Indian weddings, that promised you nothing but the unconditional right to getting dolled up and fawned over. Especially when you're not burdened by any of those shoulder-hunching and feet-aching responsibilities.

For Saanvi, it was the most delicious feeling ever.

Iqra gave a cheerless smile and said, "But you know na, every other cousin from my maternal family is already married and all I can see is a swarm of children whenever I go there," she exclaimed in horror.

Saanvi and Naina chuckled at her plight while Iqra made a face at them, "Laugh like the hyenas you are, you'll know when you get stuck in the same situation one day,"

Naina, after trying to curb her laughter, said something, "But you're so good with children, aren't you?"

Iqra squinted her eyes in irritation and replied haughtily, "It is when they're one or two not a whole army."