beans

The group had been wondering around for hours now and after becoming well adjusted to stalking through the lowly lit chambers and playing bat with any oversized bugs they where beginning to wonder if they'd ever find a way to out of the vault, or if they wanted to at all. 

"It's gonna be a mess up there" Grunted the young mechanic as he rummaged through the sparse pickings of an old tool box. Y/n sighed, looking around cautiously for any signs of creepy crawlies nearby, Nate did the same close by.

"It's probably been a few years... maybe they could of gotten things back under control?" the H/c haired girl said trying desperately to convince herself that the world hadn't gone to pot whilst she'd slept.

The rancid smell of decay and bugs urged her mind out of any hopeful thoughts and back into the situation the trio where in.

"No, It's gonna be a war up there... If anyone is left up there" Nate trailed of, chewing on his lip as he glanced at a computer dishearteningly, Y/n sighed. "We'll find the people who did this, I don't care if the roaches up there are bigger than Henley or if the old towns are crawling with cannibalistic goons. We'll find Shaun."

"I second that" Henley agreed, patting Nate on his shoulder.

 "Thank you" Y/n hummed in response sending a quick smile Nate's way "I think I'm gonna check out this room guys"

"Y/n, we have to st-" Both men tensed and began to stop her but she just brushed them off with her hand.

"Relax you two, It's just a bathroom the only exit is the one you see." Y/n said, raising her hands up giving a pointed look to the both of the grubby males to stay put "No crawlies gettin' to me in there." She said halfheartedly.

In all honesty the girl had barely been keeping it together, she needed some time to process all of it. Shutting the rusted door behind her she look to the time to look herself over in the mirror. Funnily enough, she still had the stain of red lipstick on her lips. 

It seemed as if it was just earlier that she'd been dancing away to James dean and drinking punch with her Mother, of course for all she knew the party could've been decades ago but it hadn't shown on her face, she was still just as youthful as ever, one thing had changed though. Her eyes, they where far more worn out and sad.

Everything was so horrific and she was struggling to hold on to the positives. She hadn't even seen the outside yet and Y/n was already feeling sick to her skin.

She just wanted to drink punch with her Ma one last time. She just wanted to be back home. 

But now, said punch was forcing up her throat and strait onto the floor as silent tears fell from her eyes "I'm so scared Ma... Pops I'm so scared." Y/n whispered shakily as she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand 

"hows it going in there Y/n, are you okay? I thought I heard something break." Nate's worried voice called from behind the door, True enough on her decent onto the ground Y/n had managed to break the mirror, carefully she rose from the floor and shook her head "No, I'm fine don't worry bout' it" She took took a deep breath and pressed her eyes shut, blinking away the tears as she squared her shoulders.

"Sorry for the hold up, we should probably get going now." The two males didn't miss the way her eyes shone and a look of concern was shared between them, they said nothing of it though.

Henley didn't wan't to be torn to shreds and Nate just didn't want to overstep.

"Yeah... Look I found some beans, we should probably eat before we go out on the road" Henley shrugged handing his fellow survivors the small cans, he noticed the nausiated look on Y/n's face and remembered how she'd pledged never to eat beans again after she ate one of greasy joey's bean chowder dishes... She refused to admit that maybe the beans where not at fault and that it was just down to poor hygiene on old joeys part.