"Of course, I thought you wouldn't want to," said Black quickly. "I understand, I just thought I'd –"

"Actually, Mr. Black, – Sirius, Harry would love to come and live with you," said Matilda, interrupting Sirius before any more damage could be done and Harry would go back to living in the muggle world with his aunt and uncle.

Harry nodded, agreeing with Matilda. He was thankful that he had her to speak for him when he could not seem to speak for himself.

"She's right!" said Harry, his voice easily as croaky as Black's. "Of course I want to leave the Dursleys! Have you got a house? When can I move in?"

Matilda had never been an emotional person, it was no secret, and she didn't consider herself to be one to enjoy sappy situations, but, in this instance, there was a part of her that was extremely happy for Harry. She was happy for him. Happy that he would finally be getting a part of a life he should of always had.

"You want to?" he said. "You mean it?"

"Yeah, I mean it!" said Harry.

Black's gaunt face broke into the first true smile Tilly had seen upon it. The difference it made was startling, as though a person ten years younger were shining through the starved mask; for a moment, he was recognizable as the man who had laughed at Harry's parents' wedding.

"Is there any other revelations you'd like to make, Sirius?" asked Lupin, a pointed look directed at Sirius. "Perhaps you'd like to tell –"

"Remus," growled Sirius, a stern look on his face.

"Think about it Sirius," said Lupin, stopping abruptly, he seemed a lot more annoyed than he ever had before. "Think about the lie you're living and the lie you're making someone else live!"

"Okay," Matilda finally said aloud. "What the bloody hell are the two of you on about, hm?"

"Nothing," said Sirius, but by the way he tensed at her voice, Matilda knew he was lying to her. "It's something that happened long ago, it doesn't concern you, children."

Instead of continuing to argue with Sirius, Lupin only shook his head disappointedly at Sirius and turned back ahead. Tilly was confused but mostly curious, she wanted to get to the bottom of what the two of them were talking about.

They did not speak again until they had reached the end of the tunnel. Crookshanks darted up first; he had evidently pressed his paw to the knot on the trunk, because Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron clambered upward without any sound of savaging branches.

Black saw Snape up through the hole, then stood back for Harry, Tilly, and Hermione to pass. At last, all of them were out.

The grounds were very dark now; the only light came from the distant windows of the castle. Without a word, they set off. Pettigrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering. Tilly couldn't wait to get back to the castle. She was dying for a shower, to relieve herself off all the dirt and dust that had collected onto her clothing, skin, and hair. She felt tired and she hoped more than anything that her father would not be informed of her nighttime adventures with a convicted murderer. She was in no mood for another family meeting, and neither was Harper.

"One wrong move, Peter," said Lupin threateningly ahead. His wand was still pointed sideways at Pettigrew's chest.

Silently they tramped through the grounds, the castle lights growing slowly larger. Snape was still drifting weirdly ahead of Black, his chin bumping on his chest. And then -

A cloud shifted. There were suddenly dim shadows on the ground. Their party was bathed in moonlight. Snape collided with Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron, who had stopped abruptly. Black froze. He flung out one arm to make Harry, Tilly, and Hermione stopped.