EPILOGUE: One and a half years later

Hermione jerked awake from a nightmare, her heart pounding. It took several seconds before she realized she was in the school's potion lab, her head on Draco's thigh. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her pounding heart.

Draco looked down from his notes and pushed the hair from her forehead. She smiled at him and reached up to squeeze his hand. He grabbed her hand, pulled it up to his face, and brushed a quick kiss on her fingertips. Then he returned to his work, ruffling his own hair as he thought.

They could work on their thesis projects during clinicals but Draco had been pushing to perfect his as quickly as possible. He had published some of his initial findings and had caught the research world's attention. He had already been offered several research positions once he graduated. There wouldn't be any lay people to be suspicious of him and his motives. He didn't have to work with annoying people. It was perfect, really, and she was proud of him.

She lay there for a while more, just watching Draco and pulling herself all the way back into reality. Finally, she sat up and glanced at the clock.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" she asked, trying to arrange her hair into something presentable.

He glanced at the clock before returning his attention to his parchment. "We still have half an hour."

"And we still need to pick up Ari. You've already turned in your thesis. Tinkering with the potion can wait until we come back."

Draco raised an eyebrow. "You're telling me to stop doing schoolwork? I'm telling Ginny when I see her."

"I'm telling you we are going to be late and then you won't be able to tell her even if you do see her."

Draco grumbled but turned to gather his things.

...

With less than five minutes to spare, which Hermione insisted was the same thing as being late, they met up with the others. Shandra and John were already at the school's apparition area, playing a game with Jordan. Jordan slapped John's palms and he cried out in playful shock.

"You'll be a great Quidditch player with reflexes like that," he told her.

Jordan giggled and then noticing Hermione's group. Grinning, she raced over to greet Draco. Then she turned to Ari and they quietly murmured to each other. Ever since the newspapers reported Draco's heroic assistance in apprehending the Snakeheads, Draco had been allowed to babysit Ari again. Ari and Jordan spent a good amount of time together at the Young Wizard Club and seemed to be becoming friends.

John stood and greeted Hermione and Draco with a smile. "I'm glad this is just the first review of our thesis," he said. "I'm pretty sure my potion would explode if it came in contact with the dragon pox virus."

Draco looked taken back. "How the hell did you manage that?"

John scratched the back of his head. "You know, I wish I knew? Given the reaction, I'm guessing it's one of the poisonous plants but..." he trailed off before shrugging.

"I'm sure yours is perfect," Shandra said, addressing both Hermione and Draco.

Hermione smiled. "Draco almost made us late tinkering with his potion."

Shandra turned a reserved look towards Draco. "Of course you were."

Draco lifted a shoulder. "I think I've figured how to stop only specific dreams."

Shandra frowned. "I guess you'll have a market for children with nightmares."

Neither Draco nor Hermione bothered to correct her. Shandra's hatred had cooled quite a bit but they still couldn't be considered close enough to talk about those sorts of issues with her. Everyone seemed happy to keep it a light friendly-acquaintance level.