In which blood is discussed

She ignored him and started walking down the aisle against the student traffic. It was easier for her to slip between the students because of her smaller size, and thus made it hard for Malfoy to catch up with her. Once she reached the front of the classroom, the students thinned considerably. Professor Greythorn was still standing at the front, talking with two students.

Malfoy caught her arm as she waited for the other students to finish.

"Why are you trying to stop me?" she asked as he smoothed his hair and robe.

He scoffed, "I'm not trying to stop you. I just don't want you to mention my status," he dropped his voice on the last word, "in front of the other students."

She raised her eyebrows as she tried to figure out why he was so anal about this.

"I thought you might be angry enough to forget or maybe this was a good enough 'reason' for you." He actually sounded anxious.

"What is wrong with you, Malfoy?" Hermione asked, completely serious. He winced. "Fine, I will keep your dirty little secret," she smiled at her irony. Malfoy didn't seem to appreciate it, though.

Hermione moved closer and caught the last part of Professor Greythorn's conversation. "... I understand your desire as a couple to not be separated. However, I find it very unprofessional to bring personal matters into school work. I'm sure you can find other times to be together." Hermione felt a sense of foreboding at the Professor's prim tone.

The couple exchanged pained glances and brushed past Hermione, whispering to each other unhappily. She almost lost her courage altogether.

"Er, Professor?"

"Yes?" the woman turned her eyebrows raised expectantly and her lips pursed like she tasted lemons.

"Er, he and I have been placed in the same group but we have a very long unpleasant history together. Both of our school work would be hurt if we worked together. Would you please allow one of us to switch groups with that couple who just spoke to you?" Hermione was dismayed at how feeble all her arguments sounded spoken out loud.

"Ms., by your accent, I assume you are from England?"

"... yes?"

"I hope this aversion is not rooted in blood prejudices?"

"Uh..." Hermione debated how to dodge such a direct question.

"I will let you know we do not tolerate prejudice here. If you will not work with this man because he is muggle born then I would suggest you seriously reconsider your ethical code."

"What? No!" Hermione was completely blindsided. "I mean, its nothing like that, Professor. We just have... irreconcilable differences."

"Hhm," the Professor did not sound convinced. Where was all that Malfoy persuasion when it would actually be helpful? "So then this is merely a childish rivalry rooted in grade school?"

She thought about mentioning seventh year, but she couldn't justify that to herself. Ron had always said she was too soft-hearted. Unconsciously, she rubbed her left forearm, fingers sliding over the faint scar.

"Professor," Malfoy cut in. "It wasn't really a rivalry... I bullied her. I was cruel. She shouldn't have to study with me."

Hermione stared at Malfoy with her mouth slightly open.

"Hmm..." the Professor mused. "It seems like you have matured since then."

Malfoy opened his mouth and then closed it without saying anything, pressing his lips together.

"I think you should stay in the same group. It will give both of you a chance to practice your professional behavior," Professor gave both of them a pointed stare and then walked away from them back to her desk.

"Look Hermione... about, you know. I-," he grimaced, his expression reminding her of the conflicted one she saw on his face in the manor during the war. Unbidden, Bellatrix's high maniacal laugh echoed in her head. She winced, trying to ignore the sharp pain that now pierced her left arm. Her heart rate was speeding up and her palms were already sweaty. She was familiar with this pattern and knew what was coming next.

"Sod off, Malfoy," she said, not looking at him, knowing only her eyes would give her distress away. She hoped this would put him off of this 'good will' and stop him from following her as she walked purposefully away. She focused on keeping her breath as normal as possible as she hunted down the closest loo and locked herself in it. Her tight control slipped at the click of the lock and sobs choked in her chest, escaping in rattling gasps, ugly and painful. She sank onto the loo and slumped against the stall wall, biting her fist to muffle herself.

This was absurd, she thought, why had this affected her so strongly? He had been nearly civil to her ever since they met this morning, despite still being extremely annoying. She had thought leaving Europe would allow her to avoid anything that triggered these attacks until she managed to get them under control. Apparently fate had other plans. She sighed, wiping her eyes on loo paper, and blew her nose. She cast a 'frigus' to cool her eyes and nose and decrease their redness. She watched the shadows under the door to see if anyone was outside and cast a 'Homenum Revelio' just to be sure, even while knowing it was a tad paranoid.

Exiting the stall, she checked her reflection in the mirror. Her eyes were a little bloodshot, but overall it was hard to tell she had been crying. Her hair had gotten a little out of control, probably because of some accidental magic. She pulled some of it back with a barrette she had in her bag to disguise it a little. She had given up trying to manage her hair with magic, as it only seemed to make her hair frizz more. By the time she left the loo, Hermione felt put together and had enough of an appetite to try whatever the school had served for lunch.

When she went back to her seat for the afternoon lecture, Shandra and Malfoy were no longer there and she was able to share pleasant small talk with John. Although these lectures were very similar to the morning's, she passed the worst of it thinking of about when she returned home. They had only arrived in America the day before yesterday and so she had left the apartment in quite a bit of disarray. She wasn't sure she wanted to see how it had been sorted out when she got back, but was quite happy when classes ended for the day and she lined up after the other students to floo home.

~~~

From here on out my beta,  Fleurdelys21 helped me a lot with grammar and, well, everything else that goes into writing a story. :) She has a story on Wattpad called Anastasia that you should definitely check out!