In which creatures are discussed

The only fireplace in the apartment was in one of the bedrooms and so she was met by the piles of unpacked boxes scattered around an unmade bed when she flooed home. She distantly heard the sound of running water and made her way around the boxes to the front room. Bowls of water were crowding the counter-space of the kitchen and saw one of her favorite mugs brimming with water on the kitchen table. The floor was occupied by a fish tank, some pots, and their rubbish can: all full of water. The sound seemed to be coming from the bathroom.

"Luna?" Hermione called, hand over her wand pocket.

"Hermione, you're back?" Luna's high voice floated out from the bathroom.

Hermione relaxed a little and peaked her head into the bathroom. Luna was leaning over the bathtub with the faucet running full force. Water had splashed onto the bathroom floor and across Luna's neon yellow skirt. A curious green film floated on the puddles around the tub.

"What are you doing, Luna?" Hermione asked.

"Trying to attract Dabberblimps. They are fond of water, you know," Luna bent to shut off the water and a few strands of her long hair trailed down into the tub, slick with water.

"Oh, is this one of the creatures you're researching for your job?"

"No, but Web-toed Diricawls like to snack on Dabberblimps," Luna reached over to a few small packets that were sitting on the loo and grabbed a pinch of green substance from one of them. "The Web-toed Diricawls have a higher concentration in Boston because Dabberblimps have migrated here in Muggles' bottled water."

"Oh, well, have you seen any Web-toed Diricawls?" Hermione asked as Luna continued to add various amounts of the packets into whatever was sitting in the tub.

"Very briefly," Luna tossed her hair over her shoulder and pulled a bucket out of the bathtub, the green mixture flurried about in the swirling water. "He disappeared when I tried to get a photograph of him. They are shy creatures, much like Nargles and most magical creatures."

Hermione decided not to bring up a few of the beasts they had encountered in Hagrid's classes and settled on "Oh."

"The photo did not turn out well, but you can still see the Diricawl if you look closely," Luna gestured towards the sink. Hermione looked down to see a Wizard photo, its edges soaked with the green sludge. There was a momentary picture of a dodo before a splash of liquid filled the photo and the view swung upwards to the ceiling and part of Luna's earrings and hair.

"What happened when you were taking the photo?" Hermione asked very curiously.

"The Diricawl ran into one of the bowls, and tipped all of the contents onto himself and I," Luna said matter of factly. "He wasn't happy with me for getting him wet in the middle of his snack and disappeared after expressing that frustration thoroughly in Diricawl."

"You understand Diricawl?" Hermione asked hesitantly.

"No, but it's a very distinct honking sound, I'm sure you would recognize it if you heard it," Luna leaned down and stirred whatever she was concocting.

"Oh, um... do you think if we placed a few fish tanks in the spare bedroom it would have the same effect as the mass of dishes in our living room right now?" Hermione asked, thinking of the possibility of flying green sludge threatening her future mornings. "We could even set up the spare bedroom for your mazizoologist work."

Luna tipped her head, her purple carrot-like earrings jangling. "Yes, that would work. Three big ones would probably do the trick." Luna hefted the bucket and lugged it past Hermione into the front room. Luna then plonked it down between the rubbish can and a spaghetti pot, both full of the curious concoction.