In which there is a (not so literal) cliffhanger

The Auror that had come with Ginny had already assisted with the capture of two other Dementors on the island. With the experience from the other captures, he had streamlined the process. He explained it to Hermione and Draco as he opened his suitcase.

Essentially, they would surround the Dementor and then use their patronuses to force the Dementor towards the suitcase. The suitcase was equipped with an extension charm large enough to contain the Dementor. Then, with no other place to go, the Dementor would have to back down into the extended space in the suitcase.

Throughout the Auror's explanation, Hermione and Draco had had to hold the Dementor in place with their patronuses. Hermione was starting to sweat with the effort of maintaining a patronus for such a long period of time. Luckily, with careful coaching from the Auror, they managed to get the Dementor into the suitcase with little trouble.

As soon as the lock clicked, Hermione gratefully let her patronus go. She shook out her wand arm, trying to ease the cramping. "Do you know what happened with the Snakeheads?" she asked the Auror as he fixed several extra magical locks onto his suitcase.

"I've been on the outside. I specialize in containment," he said in an American accent Hermione had noticed in those claiming New York City as their home. "We've captured three Dementors so far but only one Tiyanak." He held up the suitcase. "Keep a lookout for some demon babies. The Snakeheads picked up a few going through Philippines. Usually when the Dementors and Tiyanak are found together it's at a one to one ratio."

"You're in luck," Draco said. "We knocked two out back there."

The Auror perked up. "Will you show me? I've never actually come across one in person."

Draco was starting to do that when Hermione spoke up. "I think one of us should hang back. Just in case Harry and Ginny come back this way."

Draco gave her a once over before asking nonchalantly, "You'll be okay?"

She nodded.

He then gestured for the Auror to follow.

The Auror and Draco had been gone for only a few minutes when she heard the crunch of snow of someone coming from Harry's direction.

"Honestly," Ginny was saying. "Can you deny that I did just fine with this stupid punk?" They must have captured the Snakehead that they had been chasing. Ginny sounded smug enough that Hermione wondered if Harry had needed to help at all.

There was a murmur from Harry.

"Exactly! So am I helpless and need to be protected from the big bad Snakeheads?"

There was a snarl from the Snakehead and then a thump. Possibly from Ginny smacking the back of his head or some similar retaliation.

Ginny continued, "Do I?"

By this time, the whole crew was directly in Hermione's sights.

Harry ran a hand through his hair. "Just because you don't need protection, doesn't mean I don't want to give it to you, Ginny. I care about you and want to protect you."

Ginny sniffed disdainfully and then caught sight of Hermione. "Hermione, tell Harry that the only way he gets me is if he lets me stand by his side. Try and smother me and" -Ginny turned her attention back to Harry- "I'll find someone else."

Harry stood still, looking a little thunderstruck.

At this point, their prisoner looked up and caught sight of Hermione. "Mudblood!" he hissed.

Hermione took an involuntary step backward, clutching at her right forearm. It had been a while since that insult had been thrown at her with such vehemence.